Payments POST - set payType

For requests or help with our API
saskia

Payments POST - set payType

Post by saskia » Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:37 am

When POSTing a payment we'd like to be able to set the payType based on how the patient has actually paid. We figured out we can create/GET payTypes via definitions but then realized we can't actually use any payTypes we've created when posting various payments.

ryanc

Re: Payments POST - set payType

Post by ryanc » Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:46 am

+1. Need this to be able to post more than 1 payment type!

Craig_

Post by Craig_ » Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:57 am

Agreed. This level of specificity is critical for back office reconciliation of payments.

SLeon

Post by SLeon » Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:27 am

The PayType is decided by the dental office when they enable the API:

PaymentType_Default.gif
PaymentType_Default.gif (65.86 KiB) Viewed 5089 times

You can see which PayType they have selected by using Preferences GET to retrieve the ApiPaymentType preference.

saskia

Post by saskia » Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:58 am

Sadly that really doesn't help us - we're the ones that need to dictate what the pay type is, and it will vary (ie sometimes it's cash payment, sometimes a check, etc.) and thus depending on what the payment it, we'd like to post with the right payType, rather than whatever the API is set to. It'd be pretty cumbersome if users have to go into OD to change what the API payType is set to before they take a payment.

SLeon

Post by SLeon » Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:21 pm

Good afternoon,

It is the dental office that dictates how they want to categorize how payments are entered into their database, not the third party.

Most dental offices will create a specific PaymentType definition just for third party usage, such as "FromAPI", and set that in the API Setup form above. This is similar to how other online payments (Edge Express, X-Charge, etc) are categorized in Open Dental. Users can identify a payment was made from your application by seeing "FromAPI" selected in the Payment Form. Example screenshot from our manual:

FormPayment_Online.gif
FormPayment_Online.gif (40.49 KiB) Viewed 5074 times

I understand the manner by which the patient pays with your application can vary, but they are all paying via your application. A check processed by the dental office and one handled by a third party are different, and setting the PayType for the API is the way the dental office can choose to differentiate the two.

saskia

Post by saskia » Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:28 am

This is what I'm hearing from my clients. They want more granularity in what we're posting - it makes sense that yes, it's all API, however, they want to know more than just 'came from API'. Because we offer more than just one payType, they want to see that reflected when we post back. It's the level granularity they also need to do their daily reconciliation. We do what we can by adding it to the description but they're still having to go into each payment in OpenDental and set the correct payType there - it's a lot of manual work that they would love to do without. Since we can create payTypes (definitions) it seems like it would make sense that we should also be able to use payTypes when posting?

Craig_

Post by Craig_ » Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:59 am

SLeon wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:21 pm
Good afternoon,

It is the dental office that dictates how they want to categorize how payments are entered into their database, not the third party.

Most dental offices will create a specific PaymentType definition just for third party usage, such as "FromAPI", and set that in the API Setup form above. This is similar to how other online payments (Edge Express, X-Charge, etc) are categorized in Open Dental. Users can identify a payment was made from your application by seeing "FromAPI" selected in the Payment Form. Example screenshot from our manual:

FormPayment_Online.gif

I understand the manner by which the patient pays with your application can vary, but they are all paying via your application. A check processed by the dental office and one handled by a third party are different, and setting the PayType for the API is the way the dental office can choose to differentiate the two.
Hi and thanks for the note. This is, unfortunately, not what our mutual customers are asking for. They want to see all payments within our solution, granularly posted so they can reconcile more accurately. FeatherPay is not like X-Charge/Edge. Would it be possible for the practice to create what I'd loosely call 'sub payment methods' based on how OD works today? So that when FeatherPay is used to take a check or a credit card of financing, each of those can be posted to the patient ledger in the way practices want?

SLeon

Post by SLeon » Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:24 am

I understand your use case and your desired workflow. After much discussion, we've decided to change the API Setup form to indicate to dental offices that the payment type they choose will be the default type used. We will then allow developers to set the PayType in Payments POST requests, identically to how other definition FK fields are set in the API (e.g. appointment.Confirmed field). This should satisfy multiple use cases for both the dental office and API developers.

It sounds as though you will name the Payment Types you create in such a way that is easy for the dental office to distinguish between payments made directly ("Cash") and your application ("MyApp-Cash"). This is the way we would recommend developers utilize this new feature and strongly encourage it.

I have added this Payment Type feature to our development list and we will start on it soon. I will update this thread with our progress.

Craig_

Post by Craig_ » Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:20 pm

SLeon wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:24 am
I understand your use case and your desired workflow. After much discussion, we've decided to change the API Setup form to indicate to dental offices that the payment type they choose will be the default type used. We will then allow developers to set the PayType in Payments POST requests, identically to how other definition FK fields are set in the API (e.g. appointment.Confirmed field). This should satisfy multiple use cases for both the dental office and API developers.

It sounds as though you will name the Payment Types you create in such a way that is easy for the dental office to distinguish between payments made directly ("Cash") and your application ("MyApp-Cash"). This is the way we would recommend developers utilize this new feature and strongly encourage it.

I have added this Payment Type feature to our development list and we will start on it soon. I will update this thread with our progress.
This is wonderful, and a true testament to the OD ethos of openness and customer value through innovation. Thank you for this, and we are excited to continue developing alongside such a committed and thoughtful team.

saskia

Post by saskia » Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:25 pm

SLeon wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:24 am
Awesome! Our clients are going to be very excited about this. Appreciate you hearing us out and adding this to your feature list.

saskia

Post by saskia » Tue May 30, 2023 9:58 am

I'm wondering if there's an update on this one? Thanks!

SLeon

Post by SLeon » Wed May 31, 2023 12:43 pm

This item is next on our development list. I would expect this to be completed in the next couple weeks.

saskia

Post by saskia » Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:23 am

Is there a target release date for this yet? Thanks.

justine

Post by justine » Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:26 pm

saskia wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:23 am
Is there a target release date for this yet? Thanks.
Good afternoon saskia,

Payments POST PayType enhancement is available in version 23.1.27.

If you are curious about API features, you can always check out the previous versions page. Every API feature or enhancement will be on the previous versions page, along with the version and date it was released.

Also, new or enhanced API functionality, and its implemented version, are always stated in the documentation.

Thanks!

saskia

Post by saskia » Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:38 pm

Awesome! Thank you! Do you know how long it typically takes for versions to go from beta to full release? I know I'm going to have clients who don't want to run a beta version so if there's any ballpark I can give them that would be great. Thanks!

justine

Post by justine » Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:11 pm

saskia wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:38 pm
Awesome! Thank you! Do you know how long it typically takes for versions to go from beta to full release? I know I'm going to have clients who don't want to run a beta version so if there's any ballpark I can give them that would be great. Thanks!
We attempt to release four minor versions per year, but that is not guaranteed.

Open Dental's API team releases to beta so that API developers have ample opportunity to test their application/program/use case.

Thanks!

Craig_

Post by Craig_ » Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:48 am

Hello,
a quick check in to see how this beta is looking as it relates to an eventual live production launch. thanks for any updates you may have, and your ongoing support. you guys are great.

DerekR

Post by DerekR » Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:01 pm

Good Morning Craig_,

We have just released a new beta version (23.2) on July 31st. The previous beta (23.1) has now become stable. Please see our Previous Versions page for more information. https://opendentalsoft.com:1943/ODBugTr ... sions.aspx