API Setup in Australia

For requests or help with our API
awadh

API Setup in Australia

Post by awadh » Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:39 am

Hi there,
I am from Australia and we have OD version 21.2.36 installed. We would like to development extension to OD Timecard. connect to our accounting system.
It seems that I need to register OD APIs with Open Dental headquarters in US. It means I cannot use OD APIs. Is my understanding correct?
Can I enable my OD APIs in Australia?
Awadh

SLeon

Re: API Setup in Australia

Post by SLeon » Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:42 am

Could you please clarify what you mean by "register OD APIs with Open Dental headquarters in the US"? We have customers using our API from outside the United States, and indeed, outside North America.

awadh

Post by awadh » Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:20 pm

I may have misunderstood, but I am refering to the online documentation -
Section - API Setup .....
/*****************************************************/
The API web service is hosted at Open Dental headquarters. All requests are routed through this address to the
appropriate office. Offices do not host their own API service. The API Key specified in the Authorization header is linked to a specific office.
Steps to Enable the API
In order to use the API, the office must have an eConnector running. See
https://www.opendental.com/manual/econnector.html for installation instructions.
/****************************************************/
and i understand that Open Dental headquarters is in US.
Is there other document I should read to get started with APIs?

Awadh

SLeon

Post by SLeon » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:56 am

Yes, the API Setup page is the correct place to start.

Our API servers are located here at Open Dental headquarters, which simply means all API traffic is routed through there. All API requests are sent to http://api.opendental.com/api/v1/..., processed at our servers, then travel via eConnector to the customer's dental office before returning the same way. Anyone should be able to send requests to this endpoint.

To get started with the API, you can use our public testing credentials (found at the bottom of that same page) to make API requests to a demo dental office we maintain. You can use ARC, Postman, or any other REST client to make these requests. When you are ready to start using your own data for testing and development, follow the instructions under the "API Keys" heading to get your own credentials.

awadh

Post by awadh » Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:28 pm

I am getting there slowly, but I am still confused.
I looked at your online documentation and eConnector is installed via(/works with) eServices.
Do you have eServices service/support in Australia?

Awadh

SLeon

Post by SLeon » Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:28 am

Yes, the eConnector is required to use our eServices. Open Dental supports eServices in Australia.

The eConnector is also required for the API. It is not required to sign up for eServices to use our API.

The eConnector is included and kept up-to-date when the Open Dental program is updated. You can expect your customers to already have the eConnector installed on their machines.