Configure Web Service in Development Environment

This forum is for programmers who have questions about the source code.
japonte

Configure Web Service in Development Environment

Post by japonte » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:37 pm

Hi, I found the instructions to configure the web service here http://www.opendental.com/manual/middletier.html, but is there a way to configure the web service without running opendental setup? How can I do it manually for a development environment?

jsalmon

Re: Configure Web Service in Development Environment

Post by jsalmon » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:16 pm

So there's several ways you can go about this and it all depends on what your end goad is:
1. Just the middle tier in development mode: Set OpenDentalServer as your startup project in VS and hit run. Hint: Make sure to edit your OpenDentalServerConfig.xml file so it knows what database to look at!
2. Just the middle tier running in IIS (non dev): Many ways to do it but the easiest would be to right click OpenDentalServer in VS > Properties > Web > Use Local IIS Web server radio button > Create Virtual Directory
3. Have both Open Dental and middle tier in dev mode at same time: Right click the solution in VS > Set Startup Projects... > Multiple startup projects: radio button > Set OpenDental and OpenDentalServer to the Start Action > OK.

Or if you don't want to mess with visual studio, the OD server files necessary are always within the Open Dental directory of a computer that installed OD from a Setup.exe (typically your server or a computer where the trial was installed). Then you just have to point your IIS to the Open Dental directory and not think about a thing. Well... you still need to manipulate your server config xml file. Always remember that file. Most people forget to change it which is where your middle tier gets it's database settings from.
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

japonte

Re: Configure Web Service in Development Environment

Post by japonte » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:58 am

Thanks, you helped me a lot !