use of svn:ignore

This forum is for programmers who have questions about the source code.
jackcraig66

use of svn:ignore

Post by jackcraig66 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:05 am

I've found the existing documentation on Patterns really helpful and was wondering is there any guidance on the use of svn:ignore?

I can see that the OpenDental project ignores the obj directory, for example, but the bin and Debug folders themselves are versioned. Projects like OpenDentBusiness, RdlEngine, RdlViewer, SparksToothChart etc ignore the bin and obj directories but then there are quite a few other projects that don't.

The reason I ask is that just opening a freshly checked-out copy of the head in Visual Studio produces a lot of unversioned files - personally I prefer to have files and directories either versioned or explicitly ignored but am interested if anyone else as an opinion...

Thanks

jsalmon

Re: use of svn:ignore

Post by jsalmon » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:59 am

Most of those files are automatically generated when you compile the solution. No need to version them. Also some might change ever so slightly and it would be rather annoying when they would show up red due to the minor change requesting to be committed.
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

jackcraig66

Post by jackcraig66 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:16 am

Yes I agree. I think I would have expected things like the bin and obj directories to have been ignored already...
...in fact that's what I've done in my working copy but of course I get the svn modified icon anyway because now I've changed the properties.

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:51 am

You'll notice that the only thing versioned inside the OpenDental project's bin folder is the ConversionFiles folder which is required for nostalgic reasons.
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com