MySQL Database on Network Attached Storage(NAS) - works!!

For complex topics that regular users would not be interested in. For power users and database administrators.
mvoschin

MySQL Database on Network Attached Storage(NAS) - works!!

Post by mvoschin » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:23 pm

Has anybody tried to run MySQL server on the Synology DS-207 http://techgage.com/print/synology_ds20 ... nas_server
or any other (MySQL capable)NAS? DS-207 drive supports PHP/MySQL and RAID 1. I was thinking of having OpendDentImages + mysql on it for All-in-one backup solution witch is computer independent.

P.S. After 2 days of trial and error I've got it to work!
Had to update the firmware on the NAS and install phpMyAdmin.
Then I used navicat program to upload big sql files on the unit, because web interface in phpMyAdmin would timeout and would not show the progress status of an upload. Works good so far, the only thing that takes a few seconds to load Procedure Codes window. So the other question would be about optimizing that part so it would run smoother.

Any input would be appreciated.

enamelrod

Re: MySQL Database on Network Attached Storage(NAS) - works!!

Post by enamelrod » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:53 pm

help me understand the benefit?

mvoschin

Post by mvoschin » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:50 pm

With limited space this works out to be an excellent solution for storing/backup data i.e. digital x-rays, OpenDentImages folder.
This unit has a gigabit connection and it supports 2 SATA drives in RAID 1 for redundancy. On top of that I got it to work with MySql so any information can be accessed without having a server computer.

tdong

Post by tdong » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:08 pm

very interesting, i should get one and try it for DR purpose just in case my two servers die at the same time and I am not on site to fix it.

mvoschin

Post by mvoschin » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:26 am

I thought to use it as a nice automated network backup but then I realized that it is possible to run SQL server right on it, so I thought: "Why not?" :)
The only issue is that there is a delay on accessing Procedure Codes Table, so I'm looking for the next model with faster processor(500mhz vs 266Mhz).
There is a program phpMyBackupPro that backs up the SQL database but I have not looked in it closely.

enamelrod

Post by enamelrod » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:05 pm

ok i see. why raid 1 and not raid5 ? is there a cost savings to nas bx vs server?

mvoschin

Post by mvoschin » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:58 am

This type of enclosure supports only 2 HDDs, therefore RAID-0/RAID-1 support. I do not know about the cost of a server with 2 HDDS in RAID and keeping it on 24/7. The size of the enclosure is much smaller than any mini/micro cases that support 2 hard drives. Judging by the specs from manufacture and other reviews it draws around 15-32 Watts. I thought about running database on a D-link DNS-323 but it does not come with a SQL server support out of the box.

caringdentists

Post by caringdentists » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:01 am

I created fault tolerant servers in the past, created backup strategies etc etc. Mysql Chain replication is by far superior. ( http://www.open-dent.com/manual/daisych ... ation.html). It was a necessity because I have 2 dental offices that required database replication. I think it is a superior backup/redundant strategy because it's "real-time". A whole server can blow up or stolen and you'll still have PC and laptops to serve as a whole server, immediately with restoring or activating a mirrored drive. If you need the specific instructions as it relates to Open-Dent (it was a collaborative effort with Open-dent) email me at admin@caringdentists.org.

cheers

mvoschin

Post by mvoschin » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:48 am

caringdentists wrote:I created fault tolerant servers in the past, created backup strategies etc etc. Mysql Chain replication is by far superior. ( http://www.open-dent.com/manual/daisych ... ation.html). It was a necessity because I have 2 dental offices that required database replication. I think it is a superior backup/redundant strategy because it's "real-time". A whole server can blow up or stolen and you'll still have PC and laptops to serve as a whole server, immediately with restoring or activating a mirrored drive. If you need the specific instructions as it relates to Open-Dent (it was a collaborative effort with Open-dent) email me at admin@caringdentists.org.

cheers
Now I know whom to ask about chain replication 8). From my understanding chain replication does not scale up well. Additionally, once random primary keys are in use there is no way back. What about the situation when(God forbid) one of the servers would get screwed up(some of the tables=0) how would it sync with the other one?

caringdentists

Post by caringdentists » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:46 pm

Yes, I've heard that it doesn't scale very well, but I'll never own more than 10 offices. If I did own that many, I'd have T3 connection and a VPN connection to a central clustered server. :lol: