Best practices for a new installation

For complex topics that regular users would not be interested in. For power users and database administrators.
dqadri

Best practices for a new installation

Post by dqadri » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:07 pm

Hi folks,

I'm playing with Open Dental right now and reading through the forum messages. I'm trying to build a list of best practices and things to look out for, with new installations of OD. Anyone have any personal experience with any issues they ran into. You know, the kind that you wish you had setup differently when you started, and now it's just simply too painful to fix??

Thanks!
--
Danish Qadri, DMD

Lake Family Dentistry
296 Lake Ave
Colonia, NJ 07067

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Best practices for a new installation

Post by jordansparks » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:28 pm

I can't think of much that would be too painful to fix. It's designed to be able to work quickly out of the box and to also be able to change settings to make it work smoother as you go. Oh, wait. Planned Appointments. Be sure to set one for each patient as they finish up in the chair or else check the box for "done". It is really hard to go back and add Planned Appointments, and you want to get that system implemented properly from the very beginning.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

JimZ

Post by JimZ » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:42 pm

I'll add a hint. When setting up the medication list, I wish I would have paid better attention when entering the generic names and brand names. Entering generic with lowercase and Brand with uppercase would have been better (atorvastatin and Lipitor). The same goes for correct spelling of meds. Once medications are attached to patients, the only way to correct an error is to unattached the med from all the patients, delete the med, re-enter with the correct information and then re-attach to the appropriate patients. This is definitely something that needs to be entered correctly from the beginning.

Jim

KevinRossen

Post by KevinRossen » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:39 am

JimZ wrote:I'll add a hint. When setting up the medication list, I wish I would have paid better attention when entering the generic names and brand names. Entering generic with lowercase and Brand with uppercase would have been better (atorvastatin and Lipitor). The same goes for correct spelling of meds. Once medications are attached to patients, the only way to correct an error is to unattached the med from all the patients, delete the med, re-enter with the correct information and then re-attach to the appropriate patients. This is definitely something that needs to be entered correctly from the beginning.
You can use a MySQL query to update the name of the medication. I just tested this query using SQLYog with a backup database. Think you could probably use the User Query in the Reports section, too. If you'd like to have the code I used just PM me.

All it did was changed the med to lowercase. Be very, very careful with these queries, though. If you forget to add the WHERE statement you'll overwrite the name of all your medications. Test it with a backup database first and make sure you have an untouched backup to roll back to in case anything goes wrong.
Last edited by KevinRossen on Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin Rossen
Office Manager, Rossen Dental
Founder, DivergentDental.com

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:17 am

KevinRossen wrote:...Be very, very careful with these queries, though... Test it with a backup database first and make sure you have an untouched backup to roll back to in case anything goes wrong.
I'm glad at the very least you mentioned these things. I'm having an internal battle over removing your post. Running update, insert, or delete statements on any database should absolutely never be encouraged...

The correct resolution to this issue is feature request #1283
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

KevinRossen

Post by KevinRossen » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:13 pm

jsalmon wrote:I'm having an internal battle over removing your post. Running update, insert, or delete statements on any database should absolutely never be encouraged...
I removed the code from my post just to be safe. I've only done it a few times after watching Spike from conversions work his magic. I ALWAYS test it in a non-live environment AND make sure my most current backup works just to be safe.
Kevin Rossen

Hersheydmd

Post by Hersheydmd » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:32 pm

KevinRossen wrote:
jsalmon wrote:I'm having an internal battle over removing your post. Running update, insert, or delete statements on any database should absolutely never be encouraged...
I removed the code from my post just to be safe. I've only done it a few times after watching Spike from conversions work his magic. I ALWAYS test it in a non-live environment AND make sure my most current backup works just to be safe.
I thought it was a great tip. I already tried it and saved the code in my Favorites.
I am surprised you removed the code. Considering that this is in Advanced Topics, you should be more trusting of the members who use this forum. I understand the concern that someone who doesn't know what they are doing can get in trouble. But that shouldn't stop everyone else from benefiting. An attached warning should be sufficient.
Anything that makes the OD experience more user friendly should not be discouraged.
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Robert-M ... 1471599429

KevinRossen

Post by KevinRossen » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:22 pm

Hersheydmd wrote:I am surprised you removed the code. Considering that this is in Advanced Topics, you should be more trusting of the members who use this forum. I understand the concern that someone who doesn't know what they are doing can get in trouble. But that shouldn't stop everyone else from benefiting. An attached warning should be sufficient. Anything that makes the OD experience more user friendly should not be discouraged.
I'm just another user (and a new one as of Nov 2013), so it was my choice to remove the code from the forum. Again, I have no problem sharing it in a private message. Just want to respect the wishes of the OD staff.

Per the User Manual, here's why I think they'd rather not have it posted in the forum:
The table viewer is intended only for SELECT commands which return a table. You should never try to change the actual data in the database from here using INSERT, UPDATE, or any other similar command.
Kevin Rossen

Hersheydmd

Post by Hersheydmd » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:38 pm

Another option, which I used prior to your post, is to use a program like Navicat, to edit the spelling of a medication in the Medication Table.
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Robert-M ... 1471599429