Extract Daily Schedule

For complex topics that regular users would not be interested in. For power users and database administrators.
kdna

Extract Daily Schedule

Post by kdna » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:42 am

Hi! I need to extract the daily schedule from Open Dental.

Looks like you can do the following query from Reports ->User Query:

Code: Select all

select * from appointment
I need to create a batch(bat) script with this command. Is there a way I can query data from open dental outside of the program? Trying to use the schedule and integrate with a website booking system, and sync across multiple devices. My intention is not to connect the Open Dental database to a web server. It will need to remain in its local environment. The batch file I will create will run on the individual machine where Open Dental is installed.

Thanks! :D

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Extract Daily Schedule

Post by jordansparks » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:01 am

Yes. Any MySQL connector will work if you let the user specify connection details like database name, username, and password. Are you trying to synch the appointments to another server? We specifically support that, so I can give you more details if that's the goal.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

kdna

Post by kdna » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:12 am

1. I am stuck. Not sure what Mysql Connector to use, what it is... Any suggestions Jordan?
2 .Also, how do you sync with another server. I don't need to sync everything, just the schedule?

Thanks! Still need to get this working.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:42 pm

So you sound like more of an IT person than a programmer. When I think about connecting to a database, I think about what tools my language (C#, Java, etc) has for connecting to the database. It sounds like you want a program instead. The program you would use is called the MySQL client. It is mysql.exe, and is found in the bin folder of every MySQL installation. The MySQL client is well documented on the MySQL website. So that will let you write batch files. But batch files are fairly limited. If you want to do anything fun, you need to use a programming language, like C# or Java. It takes months/years to actually figure out how to use those environments, but there's a big payoff. If you are going to synch appointments with a web server, I think you'll need a programming language, not a batch file.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

kdna

Post by kdna » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:37 am

Well I am a developer actually. My skillset includes html5, css3, js, jquery, php, mysql, bbdev, mongodb, github etc.
Figured Out I needed to Install Apache Linux, then call my php script just like in web app dev
I will need to spend some time looking at the db architecture to create the queries I need. Thank you for providing documentation!