Updating Database Table

For complex topics that regular users would not be interested in. For power users and database administrators.
jamdownian

Updating Database Table

Post by jamdownian » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:22 pm

This is my first posting to this forum. Thanks in advance for your responses. I am recent user of Open Dental. What I would to do is update several database fields. I would like to know if this is the recommend approach or if there is a better way to do this.

What I would like to do is update the ClaimStatus and InsPayAmt fields in the Claims table by running a SQL script. This is just to find away to automate the status of claims and the amount that was paid by the insurance company.

If I update these fields will I break anything else in the database?

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:37 pm

Yes, you will cause inconsistencies in the database. Please don't even consider it. How would you automate this anyway? Where are you getting this data in electronic form?
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

jamdownian

Post by jamdownian » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:36 pm

The thinking was that we could run a SQL query to get all the outstanding claims and export that into a CSV file format. The CSV would have the patient’s name, data of service, claim sent date, amount submitted to the insurance company and an empty field of Insurance paid amount. Import the CSV into excel and update the insurance paid field with the values received from the insurance company. When all the outstanding claims are received run another SQL query to update the claims table with the insurance paid amount and the claim status flag.

However, what you are saying is this is a very bad idea? Is there any other method of handling EOB in batches?

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:07 pm

I understand that you want to automate it, but I will insist that what you are planning is a bad idea. First of all, the claim totals are not fundamental value fields. They are instead, calculated and derived sums based on the values in the claimproc table. Your queries would have to create new claimproc entries, alter claim entries, properly set something like 6 dates, and so on and so forth. Bad bad idea. Our current interface handles (I think) batches quite nicely even if it's not all in one grid. And you can rest assured that a single input window for this function continues to move closer to reality. The best option by far is just to wait for us to do it, and muddle through it until then.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

jamdownian

Post by jamdownian » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:51 am

Thanks for your reply. I will wait until then.