Modified Records Indicator

For complex topics that regular users would not be interested in. For power users and database administrators.
j2ee.opensource

Modified Records Indicator

Post by j2ee.opensource » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:49 am

Good day all,

What are the column(s)/indicators for an updated claim and payment?
Example. A new claim is entered this morning. Later in the day a modification is made to that claim.
How do I know that claim has been modified? What table(s) and/or column(s) should I query to pick up modified
claims? Same goes for payments.

I have gone through the 185 queries list as well as scrolling through the MySQL tables and neither seem to tell me how.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Modified Records Indicator

Post by jordansparks » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:27 pm

I probably need to post a newer version of the database documentation, like 6.2. The short answer is that when a change is made, an entry is put in the security log table. The security log table is mostly meant to be human readable, so it's not something you can query for a specific claim. But if you use our interface, you can easily track such changes.

Some tables have a field that tracks when the last changes was made. For example, patient.DateTStamp. You can query that for synchronization purposes. The two tables you mentioned do not have this field, but they might soon.

So I need to know a little bit more about why you want this info. Security? Synchronization? Automation?
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

j2ee.opensource

Post by j2ee.opensource » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:44 am

Good morning Mr. Sparks,

I need the modified DateTime stamp for synchronization/automation purposes. I am thinking about running a query every X minutes to retrieve modified claims & payments.

I will modified claim and payment records and see what appears in the sercuritylog table. I may be able to code
a solution with the info placed in the securitylog table.

Thx.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:03 pm

I think you're going to need us to add that timestamp column.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

j2ee.opensource

Post by j2ee.opensource » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:33 pm

After further investigation you are absolutely correct. I do need a timestamp column in the claim & payment tables.

I know modifying an application's datasource is risky, but I think for prototyping purposes it is necessary.

Hopefully, in the near future I will see timestamp columns in those tables.

Have a good night.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:42 am

j2ee.opensource wrote:I know modifying an application's datasource is risky, but I think for prototyping purposes it is necessary.
I don't understand what you mean in the above quote.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

j2ee.opensource

Post by j2ee.opensource » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:59 pm

I was just stating that I know it is bad practice to modify another application's database. That's all.