Question on time card edit rights

For users or potential users.
brentwood

Question on time card edit rights

Post by brentwood » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:45 am

My office would like to use the time card function. I found that disabling "Edit All Time Card" in the security settings won't stop you from deleting or editing a time card entry no matter if that entry belongs to you or other people. And there is no trace of what has been done. It only stops you from "Add Adjustment" or "Compute Overtime". It seems to me that it is not very secure.

With paper time cards, you definitely cannot erase any entries. I would like to see that the deletion and editing are disabled if "Edit Time Card" is off in security settings. Any thoughts?

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:42 am

Look at the very bottom of the Security window. Check the box that says TimecardSecurityEnabled. Now, you'll have to edit each user to link them to an employee. Then it should work the way you want.

And if you're on 5.6, you can also check the box that says "users cannot edit their own timecard", a feature that I personally would never use, but that some offices might find useful.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

brentwood

Post by brentwood » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:01 pm

Thanks for the prompt reponse. I tried it. Here is what I found.

1. The current user can still edit his own time card or delete it.
2. The user who is not current logged in user cannot even check in or check out. Not to mention edit or view the time card that doesn't belong to him.

Here is the scenario in my office. The assistant who wants to use time card function may not be the user currently logs in. For example, the assistant is in the operatory helping the doctor. The login user is the doctor. The assistant just wants to use the computer to take a break. The assistant may currently clean/setup the operatory. She may want to use the computer at the front desk, which has receptionist as the login user.

Here is the design I would like.

1. The user who doesn't have time card right cannot edit or delete the entry even it is his own time card. It is just like the paper time card. Once a record is there, you cannot delete it or edit it without leaving a trace.
2. Anyone can click on anyone's entry to check in or check out. Everyone can view other people's time card. He just cannot edit it if he doesn't have the right. This will solve the problem that the person has to login as himself to use the time card functions mentioned above.
3. The "Note" field should be on the same screen below check in/check out selection. In such a way, the user doesn't have to edit the entry to add a note since he doesn't have the right to do so.

Thanks.