Search patient chart notes

For users or potential users.
Tom Zaccaria

Search patient chart notes

Post by Tom Zaccaria » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:46 am

Is there a way to search the patients' chart notes?
For example, I note during an exam that the patient moved to our area from California. But later forget the conversation but want to reference it for some reason.
Anyway to query for that information?

drtmz

dgraffeo

Re: Search patient chart notes

Post by dgraffeo » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:39 am

Well a custom query could get you what you want fairly easy I suppose, though depending on how you want to look for the note it could get pretty complicated. For instance if you wanted to search for a note that contained "California" you could simply do "SELECT PatNum, Note FROM appointment WHERE Note LIKE '%California%';" . It's pretty basic and will get you all notes that contain the word California as well as the patient it's attached to. If you want to get the notes for a particular patient you could change the WHERE clause to use the patient's PatNum (in this case assume PatNum is 12345): "SELECT Note FROM appointment WHERE PatNum=12345;". I don't think there's a way to search notes from within OD other than the query though. If you want more complicated search criteria than those you'll probably have to call for us to help you out.
"To understand what recursion is, you must first understand recursion."

David Graffeo
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

Jandrew

Post by Jandrew » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:45 am

Hello Doctor!
If you're referring to the notes that show below the tooth chart in the chart module, then this query will get the job done. Simply change the value of NOTE to whatever you want to search for. If you leave the '%'s in, it will search through all your chart notes that contain the field that you type in, which is probably what you want. If this wasn't what you were looking for, let me know or give us a call and we'll try to get you helped right away.

Here's the actual query:

SELECT patient.PatNum AS 'PatientNumber', patient.LName, patient.FName, patientnote.Treatment FROM patientnote
INNER JOIN patient ON patient.PatNum = patientnote.PatNum
WHERE Treatment LIKE '%NOTE%' #edit chartnote here

EDIT: Looks like David beat me to it. Hopefully one of our solutions works for you. :D
Programmer (n.): A machine that turns coffee into code.

Andrew Jansen
Open Dental Software
Software Engineer
andrew@opendental.com
503-363-5432

Tom Zaccaria

Post by Tom Zaccaria » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:14 am

I will try both methods. Thanks
drtmz

Tom Zaccaria

Post by Tom Zaccaria » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:31 am

Guess I wasn't 100% clear.

I was referring to the procedure notes. The notes that are written after a completed procedure. Better example for procedure D1110 Adult Prophy the notes might say, 'did prophy in the usual manner. Patient does not like Cavitron. Always requests topical. Might need deep cleaning in the future, patient is aware that there is pocketing.'

Is there any way to query those notes for say the words 'requests topical'?

drtmz

dgraffeo

Post by dgraffeo » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:37 am

Ah yes. You can try: SELECT PatNum, Note FROM procnote WHERE Note LIKE '%requests topical%'
or like the other variant in my other post: SELECT Note FROM procnote WHERE PatNum=1234
If you want them ordered by date you can also add " ORDER BY EntryDateTime" at the end.

David Graffeo
Open Dental Software

Tom Zaccaria

Post by Tom Zaccaria » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:41 pm

That is exactly what I wanted.
Is this query detailed anywhere else? Can't believe I'm the only one who would find this useful. But maybe I'm the only forgetful-one.

OpenDental support comes thru again in record time.

Many thanks,
drtmz

dgraffeo

Post by dgraffeo » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:01 am

No, it doesn't look like it. The closest I can find on our Query Examples page (http://opendentalsoft.com:1942/ODQueryL ... yList.aspx) is query number 633 which will get all group notes and proc notes within a date range, without looking at a specific patient.

David Graffeo
Open Dental Software