legal signatures

For users or potential users.
sam-I-am

legal signatures

Post by sam-I-am » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:10 pm

I know that a signature recorded on a Topaz pad is considered a legal signature. Would the same be true if signed on a Windows Surface? Was thinking of using one for patient consents.

The new surface 3 is probably large enough to work well this way, but I want to make sure the signature would be kosher. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sam Barr

Arna

Re: legal signatures

Post by Arna » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:51 am

In short, yes. See http://opendental.com/manual/digitalsignatures.html

"Signatures created using a stylus on a Tablet PC, similar touch screen, or Topaz can be used to verify the identity of the person who signed, much like with a pen and paper signature. Information about the speed of each stroke of the stylus is recorded. The signature is also digitally linked to the data which the signature applies to. If any information changes, the signature disappears and shows "invalid signature". A lot of work has gone into digitally tying the signatures to the data in such a way that the original data cannot be changed. And the way the signature is stored in the database makes it impossible for anyone to retrieve the signature without having the data that the signature applies to."
Entropy isn't what it used to be...

Arna Meyer