Another Back Up Question

For users or potential users.
gorilla121

Another Back Up Question

Post by gorilla121 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:50 pm

I have setup Syncback Pro SE (i guess similar to Karen's Replicator) to mirror the main server C:\mysql\data to the back up server C:\mysql\data. I set the
frequency every 15 minutes. I have heard about the possibility of locked tables and such on the back up. What is a locked table btw? It seems better
than losing a full days worth of work if your computer craps out towards the end of the day before a back up was made. But my main question is
having the Syncback Pro run every 15 minutes, does it in anyway compromise the main server data base? I was thinking not but wanted to be sure.
Thanks for the help.

jsalmon

Re: Another Back Up Question

Post by jsalmon » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:56 pm

At HQ we do backups every 15 minutes. It's fine as long as the backup software doesn't slow down the server for the users and that you understand that every so often a table might be in a locked state. MySQL will lock a table, run it's query, and then unlock it so that other connections can run their queries that are "waiting in the queue".
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

KevinRossen

Re: Another Back Up Question

Post by KevinRossen » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:29 am

gorilla121 wrote:But my main question is having the Syncback Pro run every 15 minutes, does it in anyway compromise the main server data base? I was thinking not but wanted to be sure. Thanks for the help.
As mentioned above there will be occasions when not everything will be backed up, but most often everything should back up just fine.

Most important, make sure you verify that the backups work. Check it at least once a week or however often makes you sleep well at night.
Kevin Rossen
Office Manager, Rossen Dental
Founder, DivergentDental.com