TrueCrypt

For users or potential users.
fishdrzig

TrueCrypt

Post by fishdrzig » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:22 pm

Is anyone on this forum using TrueCrypt for HIPAA required encryption? If so, can you tell me which folders you are encrypting or are you encrytping the entire C: drive.

teethdood

Re: TrueCrypt

Post by teethdood » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:29 pm

You're better off to just physically secure your server (lock it up in a room). I use a virtual server, so when backing up, I just copy over the entire virtual server into a Truecrypt container for transporting off-site. You can mess with full-disk encryption but it's much easier to just lock it up. If you don't have a computer room, then hide the server in the ceiling.
Philip H. Doan, DDS
http://www.kaweahdental.com/

drmaximus

Post by drmaximus » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:45 am

I second using TrueCrypt as a container for transporting secure files or uploading them to the cloud as an extra layer of protection. Encrypting your whole HDD can get messy with TrueCrypt if you have a crash, other programs are better suited to encrypt your whole HDD (easier recovery) if you want to go that route.

fishdrzig

Post by fishdrzig » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:50 am

Ok, I have been doing some reading and can't we just upgrade a computer to Windows Ultimate 7 or 8 and enable encryption of all the patient data that way, rather than installing a third party encryption software program?

KevinRossen

Post by KevinRossen » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:52 am

fishdrzig wrote:Ok, I have been doing some reading and can't we just upgrade a computer to Windows Ultimate 7 or 8 and enable encryption of all the patient data that way, rather than installing a third party encryption software program?
You can encrypt a whole drive with TrueCrypt or BitLocker (Windows' built-in tool). For TrueCrypt, if you're encrypting the drive that has the OS installed, you'll have to enter a password when you power on or reboot the computer. Other than that everything works the same as an unencrypted drive. You could also encrypt separate partitions, but if you don't mind typing a password at power up then it might be easiest to go with TrueCrypt.

If you don't want to use a password at startup, but have your entire drive with the OS encrypted you'll need to use BitLocker AND have a computer that has a "Trusted Platform Module" (TPM) enabled in the BiOS. You also have to "claim" the TPM in Windows, but that's pretty easy, too.
Kevin Rossen
Office Manager, Rossen Dental
Founder, DivergentDental.com