Only one person can enter payment in at a time?

For users or potential users.
djanash@mac.com

Only one person can enter payment in at a time?

Post by djanash@mac.com » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:45 pm

Our large insurance practice get a bunch of checks every monday and it has come to our attention that only one person can enter checks at a time...Is this correct, or intentional?

I can understand if OD sets this limit as a fail safe but can it be modified so we can allow two or three people to post payments at a time?

Thanks in advance

bpcomp

Re: Only one person can enter payment in at a time?

Post by bpcomp » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:43 pm

I don't believe there is a limitation that only one person can enter checks at a time. It's not as easy or convenient if one person does it but I think it's doable. When you enter bulk checks then all the amounts of claims that don't have checks get pooled into one group check amount. If multiple group checks are being entered at one time then those amounts get added together. All that needs to be done is at the time of actually creating the check is to change the check amount to match your check and then to only attach the claims that go with your check and detach the ones that don't. Scan your EOBs for your bulk check and done.

Please let me know if I'm wrong.

Arna

Re: Only one person can enter payment in at a time?

Post by Arna » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:12 am

Multiple users should be able to enter insurance checks simultaneously.
I something in the program prohibiting your users from doing so? If so, please let us know.
With the newer versions, there are two ways to enter batch insurance checks into Open Dental, both with advantages and disadvantages.

The first way is to receive all the payments within the claims and on the last patient hit 'Create Check' (Note that the total in this window can be changed to reflect the total of the check - this is useful in your case). Highlight any patients who don't belong on the check and remove them. The totals at the top and the bottom of the screen should match and when you click 'OK', the check is created.

The second way is designed for offices like yours. It is called the Batch Insurance feature and is located in the Manage module. Users can create the batch check first, then go and receive the payments in the patient account. Once the payments/claims are received, those payments can be attached to the check back in the Batch Insurance window. This method is useful as users can perform other tasks in between entering insurance payments and come back to them as they have time. You will get a warning if you try to run reports and you have an unfinished Batch Insurance check.

We address both methods on our webpage: http://www.opendental.com/manual/claimpayment.html
Entropy isn't what it used to be...

Arna Meyer