Ways of viewing X-rays on an Android Tablet.

For users or potential users.
Justin Shafer

Ways of viewing X-rays on an Android Tablet.

Post by Justin Shafer » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:48 am

I decided I would combine 3 programs to do what I want. Which is show an x-ray on a tablet. Since I have a rooted android tablet, I decided I would take advantage of being able to mount windows file shares. VNC would work, but I went this route. I figured the image quality would be better.

Step 1:
Find a good program to take a screenshot to a jpeg.
DuckLink capture.

I set it up for when I hit PrtScn key, it prompts me to draw a square and automatically saves it to a file, in a folder. It allows for file names to be customized. I told it to call it snap.jpg and always overwrite the old one. You could do it differently.

Okay. We now have an easy way for the user of the computer to draw a square around a box, and then easily save it to file.

Now we must focus on the tablet. I used CifsManager and QuickPic. These will allow mounting a share from a windows pc and easily allow browsing and viewing images on the share.

Step 2. Mounting a network share on the tablet. (Root required)
CIFS Manager. This will allow you to mount the network share. If you turn off Wifi, and turn it back on, the share is automatically restored. And its free. It also mounts the share at boot time.

QuickPic.
This is a good picture viewing app. It works. Also free. You can tell it to exclude and include folders on the filesystem to show. And when you mount a network share with linux,ipad,android, etc.. they appear as folders on the local filesystem. This is called a SMB Mount or a CIFS Mount. Root privileges required.

I could do this with an ipad as well, I bet. It would need to be jail broken. Android Tablets are less expensive.

openwide

Re: Ways of viewing X-rays on an Android Tablet.

Post by openwide » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:27 am

why not just use a program to remotely connect?

Justin Shafer

Post by Justin Shafer » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:28 am

Like VNC? Because you would have to deal with the resolution differences between the monitor and the tablet. No sizing or scaling issues to deal with. Well, if the image software wants to display a pano that is larger then the tablet, then it will be scaled. Or if you zoom in, that is scaled.

You know when you login to a computer from a tablet, and lets say the computer is set for 1920x1080? And you have to move around the desktop and then pinch zoom to zoom in on what you want to look at? That would be annoying.

Both would work though. If both the computer and the tablet can display the same resolution, and are set for the same resolution, then VNC would be easier.

Justin Shafer

Post by Justin Shafer » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:34 am

This would work too. I think its the best solution so far.

Quote: (Justin Shafer)

This is neat. Would work well with UltraMon or that other program.

http://www.shapeservices.com/en/product ... rm=android

Works with Windows and Mac as a seperate monitor.

This works very very well! Run the app, its automatically detected as a secondary monitor. Hit ultramon and it automatically sends the images to the tablet, sized perfectly.
Or setup a keystroke. That button sends the windows to the secondary monitor (the tablet). Found out about UltraMon from Lorne. There is another free app that can do this too.

This is so easy to setup, a non IT person could easily do it. And you dont have to be rooted. I did have to put in my ip and port, it could not find my computer. And my firewall on my computer is turned off.

Justin Shafer

Post by Justin Shafer » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:33 pm

Using it as an extended desktop with iDisplay and UltraMon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... wu3ofs5dkg

enamelrod

Post by enamelrod » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:40 pm

could you not just use dropbox and share the folder and see it that way?

Justin Shafer

Post by Justin Shafer » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:41 pm

Naa.. I dont like solutions that require the internet if it can be avoided. Besides, I think the extended desktop idea works even better. Check out the youtube link.