Sheets - Form vs. Exam

For users or potential users.
Rickliftig

Sheets - Form vs. Exam

Post by Rickliftig » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:00 am

Today I realized that my "New patient telephone screening form" was developed as an Exam sheet. SO - I exported, changed the sheet type (in .XML) from "ExamSheet" to "PatientForm" then imported and it "seems" to work. So my question is - should I trust this work-around?

Thanks.

Rick
Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Sheets - Form vs. Exam

Post by jordansparks » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:20 am

If we were to build a feature to let users convert on sheet type to another, the only thing extra we would do beyond what you have done would be to ensure that all of the output fields were still valid. I would say it's ok to trust your form as long as you understand that it might possibly malfunction, and you might have to remove a field or two.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:07 am

Postscript - I re-discovered the reason that I had to do this. I had set up an automation trigger to show this (telephone contact) form when a new patient was appointed. The trigger will ONLY let me use an exam sheet in the automation sequence and not a form sheet.

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:13 pm

Oh, right. That trigger was paid for by a user for a very specific feature that they had in mind. We do plan to explicitly build in support for a telephone contact form, but until then you are stuck with workarounds like you describe.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

jrpappy

Post by jrpappy » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:18 am

Could automation allow other types of sheets? I converted my paper NP phone interview sheet to a Patient Form with input fields that would compile and enter new patient info, only to find out that exam sheets were the only ones allowed. Is there a reason for this?

I can make it an exam sheet, but then all of the information has to be reentered into the patient file which seems redundant.

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:28 am

JR - as implied in my post - first, export your exam sheet to an .xml file (simply select it in your list of sheets and click import) - then look in the beginning of the code for the wording "ExamSheet". Then just change the phrase to "PatientForm. and import. As Jordan mentions, it may not be 100%, but it seems to work for me.

best,

Rikc

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:49 am

No, the other way around. Change it from a PatientForm to an ExamSheet.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

jrpappy

Post by jrpappy » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:17 pm

Great, I was able to do that, but now it acts like an exam sheet. I was hoping that this sheet would act more like a registration form. The receptionist could fill in certain information during the phone interview that would enter the appropriate field in the new patient chart.

I guess it's not a big deal. We'll just have the patient fill in an online form or fill out a form using kiosk. This will fill the appropriate fields without causing conflicts.

Come to think of it, if a patient fills out a registration form twice, or is asked to update their information in kiosk, will there be conflicts or will the new info trump the existing?