Change Log

For users or potential users.
irfan

Change Log

Post by irfan » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:49 pm

Ive searched the main page and the forums, maybe im missing something... but is there a change log for the updates? I ask because although every 2-3 weeks i'll run through and update all the computers, but if the change is major or minor my update schedule can change. Its a pain to walk to 8 different computers and update so it would be nice to know what has changed in each update so i know if i should update ASAP or not

Hersheydmd

Re: Change Log

Post by Hersheydmd » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:05 pm

I think this is what you are looking for: http://opendentalsoft.com:1942/ODBugTra ... sions.aspx

Also, you can set up all your computers for Remote Desktop, then you can do all the work from you desk computer.
Here's how you do it In XP: On each computer set yourself up as an Admin User so you can log in.
Right click on My Computer to get to System Properties. Go to the Remote tab.
Put a check mark by "Allow users to connect remotely to this computer."
On your desk computer, go to Start --> All Programs --> Accessories --> Remote Desktop Connection.
Makes life a little easier.
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Robert-M ... 1471599429

irfan

Post by irfan » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:35 pm

thanks for the link.

I didnt realize that remote desktop was disabled in windows 7 home premium, which i have. might have to fork over the $80 to upgrade to pro

drtech

Post by drtech » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:13 pm

just put logmein free on your windows7 home computers and save $80 times however many computers you have....
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com

irfan

Post by irfan » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:38 pm

ive been using logmein to log into the server from home... havent tried it in a LAN environment though, hope its way faster than WAN though. Ive heard it just needs the internet for a connection to be made then its all done directly, if thats the case it could be good to use.

atd

Post by atd » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:56 pm

Why do you need to run through and update the computers yourself? If you update on the server it will prompt the users to update the next time they log in. It's very easy and quick - I haven't had any problems letting our users take care of it themselves.

irfan

Post by irfan » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:29 pm

They don't log in with admin rights, was having issues with updating and I didn't want to give admin rights...haven't tried in a while though so maybe it isn't an issue

Hersheydmd

Post by Hersheydmd » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:19 pm

irfan wrote:They don't log in with admin rights, was having issues with updating and I didn't want to give admin rights...haven't tried in a while though so maybe it isn't an issue
Same here. When they log in with Limited User permissions, the update won't work properly.
Using XP Pro, I sit at my desk and remote desktop to all my workstations. Not difficult to do.
But then again you have the Home edition of Windows 7, so don't know what you can do, maybe logmein will work.
Why would you get the Home edition for a professional business setting?
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Robert-M ... 1471599429

irfan

Post by irfan » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:36 am

it was $70 cheaper per machine (7) and I didnt think id need the extra Pro features... guessed wrong. but the $90 upgrade, if i do it, is only a $140 mistake for the whole office