FreeDentalConfig.XML?

For users or potential users.
Justin Shafer

FreeDentalConfig.XML?

Post by Justin Shafer » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:14 pm

Can we make it to where Open Dental will NOT automatically use a open dental database on the localhost regardless of what is in FreeDentalConfig file? I remember it was XML...

I took an workstation that was being a temporary server and told Open Dental to use the database on the computer named SERVER. And it did...

Then I joined it to my DC and everything looked right until we noticed a newly added patient we created (doctors wife) wasnt on this one workstation. Sure enough Open Dental latches onto the local opendental database if mysql is running on this workstation. Turn of mysql and it will automatically use the SERVER.

I like to use backup servers that always run mysql and this would interfere... Yes I know I could just turn on mysql and start and stop it when needed...

but having a workstation that used to be the server automatically using its own database without really any warning is scary. Glad we caught it before Monday. :lol:

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: FreeDentalConfig.XML?

Post by jordansparks » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:54 pm

Which is why we always tell people to turn off / uninstall all mysql servers that they are not using. So the answer to your question is yes. You can easily make OD not use the localhost by turning off mysql on the localhost. Backup servers should be offsite or mysql turned off so that they can't accidentally be used.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com