Installing Open-dental Version 3.8 on Home Computer

For users or potential users.
dannyly

Installing Open-dental Version 3.8 on Home Computer

Post by dannyly » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:46 pm

Jordan,
I am currently running the older version of OD at my office for many years now. I finally decided to set it up at home and see if the backup works. I am using Vista at home with a HP home server. What is the best way to install the software and restore the backup I got from my office. The office computers use XP. Many thanks for you help.

Dr. Ly

brentwood

Re: Installing Open-dental Version 3.8 on Home Computer

Post by brentwood » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:03 pm

YOu should update to the latest version if you are still on maintenance. You are missing a lot of good stuff.

Debbie OD Support

Post by Debbie OD Support » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:19 am

It does not matter that you are going from an XP to a Vista. All you need to do is make a backup from your office and then you just download the Trial Version from our website. You want to select "MySQL ONLY" other wise you are going to run into problems. It will try to upgrade your data to the trial version 6.2.7.

So install "MySQL ONLY" then you place your data normally called "opendental" inside the C:mysql/data folder.

Then you are going to place your image folder normally named FreeDentalData or OpenDentalData or OpenDentImages directly on the C: drive.

Now you are going to open your image folder FreeDentalData or OpenDentalData or OpenDentImages and run the Setup.exe

You should now have an Open Dental icon that you can open up the program with.
Debbie
Open Dental Support
971-239-1150
service@opendent.com

dannyly

Post by dannyly » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:44 pm

Debbie,
Thank you so much for your help. I was able to install the software onto my home computer. Now I get the dreaded "Choose Database" box. What should the settings be for the software to start?

Thanks again,
DTL

Jorgebon

Post by Jorgebon » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:31 pm

If what you get is the choose database window, write "Localhost" in the first box (don't include the parenthesis). Leave the rest as is.
If what you get is the Edit Paths window, write "\\Localhost\OpenDentalData\" in the first box. Leave the rest as is.
Jorge Bonilla DMD
Open Dental user since May 2005

dannyly

Post by dannyly » Thu May 07, 2009 6:26 pm

Thank you for all your help. This software is amazing and the support is great. I have referred many of my friends to your software.