Help: Trial version doesn't work

For users or potential users.
mrdragonfly1234

Help: Trial version doesn't work

Post by mrdragonfly1234 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:15 pm

I bought a new (refurbished) computer from tiger direct as one of the poster in this forum recommended. It is window-8 based. ( which I didn't have before, so I played around to get familiar )

I had no idea about my SQL, but I learned that it's an open source data base program.

I followed all the sequences that this website suggested to try on Open Dental trial version. Din't work, so I uninstalled both Open Dental and mySQL and downloaded both for several times, try to work it out. Still doesn't work after spending 4 hours.

The final message when I am trying to open "Open Dental" is that "denied connection to my SQL" something like that. I have tried several more times, changing my computer name or data base name, but still the same. It doesn't work.

What's going on? Please help me.

jsalmon

Re: Help: Trial version doesn't work

Post by jsalmon » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:48 pm

Typically this error shows when the installer wasn't run as administrator or the "run MySQL wizard" check box was not unchecked towards the end of the MySQL installation.
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:50 pm

You'll save a lot of time by just giving us a call and we can help you install it correctly. Otherwise, if you really want to try it yourself, here's some additional troubleshooting steps if you haven't already seen this page.
http://opendental.com/manual/troubleshooting.html
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

mrdragonfly1234

Post by mrdragonfly1234 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:00 pm

jsalmon wrote:Typically this error shows when the installer wasn't run as administrator or the "run MySQL wizard" check box was not unchecked towards the end of the MySQL installation.
Thanks. Now I installed the trial version !!

Like I said, I wasn't too familiar with Window 8. Finally, I found how to open the download folder. Then, I right clicked to find "open as an administrator". And I unchecked on the check mark and it worked !

Some new questions -

1. Do I need to individually download Open dental trial version on three other computers that I'd like to link to the server computer ?
The one that I just installed is the "server" computer with lots of memory. I have tow other computers with small memory and window xp that I'd like to use as a monitor to access on the server. Do I need to download on each computers too ? Or do I just link them to the server and access to open dental ?

2. I got three other computers to hook up on the main computer with large memory capacity. Do I need to create a server-based network or peer-to-peer network in order to use Open dental ?

Thanks.