Choose Database at installatin

For users or potential users.
jbxtn

Choose Database at installatin

Post by jbxtn » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:43 am

I just installed OD onto a new computer. Everything works fine except when the choose database window comes up at the beginning. It asks me to choose the server but my server does not appear. The only option I have is localhost. On my other computers, my server comes up as an option. Why would I need get that option with the new computer and how do I get it. BTW, I am connected to the server, that is how I installed OD onto the new computer. Thanks in advance.

bpcomp

Re: Choose Database at installatin

Post by bpcomp » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:56 am

My overly complicated, works for most any situation, solution:
On the server hold the windows key and hit r. So (Win / r). That will bring up the run command. Open cmd which will bring up a command prompt (which is a black window).

In that window type: ipconfig /all

That will return a bunch of information. What you want to know is the hostname, and it will look something like this.

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : my-awesome-server

On the new workstation, replace "localhost" with "my-awesome-server". Check the box that says "Do not show this window on startup" and click OK.

Hurrah, you are now connected to your server and rocking your Open Dental awesomeness.

bpcomp

Post by bpcomp » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:57 am

BTW, welcome to the forums and to Open Dental.

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:10 am

bpcomp's solution will work and suppressing this choose database window is very common for offices and you'll probably never see this window again unless your server's MySQL service or the network is having troubles.

On a deeper level of complexity, what's happening in the background is a file is being created in your Open Dental installation path (most commonly C:\program files\Open Dental\) called tempCompNames.txt. It gets populated every time that window shows up with the results of the command

Code: Select all

C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /c net view > tempCompNames.txt
So it might be the fact that you are not running Open Dental as an administrator because it doesn't have permissions to create that file. It could also be a DNS / networking issue that the /c net view command is not returning any results. Those would be my best two guesses. Make sure if you're using a domain or a special workgroup that this computer is on the same one as every other computer in the office. I've also seen that cause some headaches.
bpcomp wrote:my-awesome-server
I'm going to have to change my server name at home now, I didn't know it was such a popular naming convention :lol:
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

jbxtn

Post by jbxtn » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:18 pm

Thanks. Worked like a charm. So far this forum has been great. Open Dental > Dentrix, Eaglesoft, Curve