Storing photos

For users or potential users.
Xstew

Storing photos

Post by Xstew » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:47 pm

What is the best solution to store and organize photos? Would it be better to put them in OD or in imaging software such as XDR?

jsalmon

Re: Storing photos

Post by jsalmon » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:30 pm

It's more a question of "What do you need to do with your images"? If it's to simply "store and organize" them, then Open Dental's Image module will be more than sufficient. If you need to do more advanced imaging viewing and manipulation then you probably want to use a third party imaging software. Many offices want that extra "umph" with their scans and x-rays OR have already been using the third party software and want to keep doing so. Thus we have many bridges to other software companies.
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

Xstew

Post by Xstew » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:35 pm

I guess I was curious if other users store in open dental or in XDR. I have a file of extra oral pics to import and I was trying to decide where to put them. I will not be needing any high end manipulation capabilities. I guess my first though is to put them in XDR but wanted to know if there are any other thoughts.

boboffice

Post by boboffice » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:49 pm

I was using Trophy before we switched to OD so my images were, and still are, stored there.
Robert Marcus DMD
Univ. of CT '93
Poway, CA

murmsk

Post by murmsk » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:28 am

The big limitation with photo storage in OD is that it lacks the ability to group them. So if you don't take too many photos and don't mind all of them going in one folder then OD is ok. But if you want to have them grouped either by date or function then look at a 3rd party program.

steve
steve