Page 1 of 1

Update: I built a custom AI receptionist for Open Dental. Your feedback taught me why everyone hates the current corpora

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2026 4:37 am
by happylight.tech
Hey everyone,

A couple of months ago, I posted about getting frustrated with our front desk missing calls and building a custom AI voice agent for our practice's Open Dental system.

I got some incredibly honest (and brutal) feedback from practice owners and managers in this sub. After chatting with a few of you, the consensus was clear. Everyone is exhausted by two main things when it comes to big corporate "Dental AI" tools (like Margo, Modento, etc.):

1. Fake Integrations (No Write-back):
Many of you pointed out that most systems out there just take a voicemail and send an email or a note to the front desk. That’s not real automation. It just creates more admin work because the staff STILL has to search call logs, listen to recordings, and manually book the slot.

2. 1-Year Hostage Contracts:
If a software is actually good, people will stay. Locking practices into 12-month contracts for unproven tech is a massive turn-off for everyone I spoke to.

Taking that feedback to heart, I spent the last few weeks upgrading the system under the hood. Here is how we are doing things differently now in our own office:

True Live Write-Back: It securely connects via the Open Dental API/eConnector. It doesn't just take notes. It converses naturally, finds open slots, and literally drops the appointment directly into the OD schedule in real-time. It actually takes action.

Strictly Month-to-Month: Zero contracts. No lock-ins.

Auto-Bilingual Switching: We just added this. If a patient calls and simply asks "¿Hablas español?", the AI instantly detects it, switches to fluent Spanish, finishes the booking, and writes the OD notes in English. Massive lifesaver for front desks.

Clean Setup: No sketchy local software to install on your server.

We’ve been running this live, and it has practically eliminated our missed call bottleneck during busy hours.

I am onboarding a few more "Early Access" offices from this sub to iron out edge cases (waiving all setup and monthly costs for this initial group so you can run it on the house).

Please contact sales@happylight.tech if interested.