Having Issues triggering subscriptions

For requests or help with our API
flaviokihbba

Having Issues triggering subscriptions

Post by flaviokihbba » Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:30 pm

Hello OpenDental Team,
I'm currently trying your API Subscriptions to send information to a Zapier automation, but it does not send anything whatsoever.
Could you help me out understand if I'm doing something wrong?

I have tried Using both Patient and Appointment as the WatchTable, but neither has been triggering so far.
I have also tried not selecting a workstation and Selecting a workstation.

Here are some examples of the API Calls I did

{
"EndPointUrl": "https://hooks.zapier.com/hooks/catch/11 ... rEndPoint/",
"WatchTable": "Patient",
"PollingSeconds": 3
}

I also tried adding a workstation, but it also does not seem to work.

Am I missing something?

SLeon

Re: Having Issues triggering subscriptions

Post by SLeon » Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:58 pm

Just now with a test dental office, I first made a Subscription POST request that looked like this:

Code: Select all

{
  "EndPointUrl": "https://webhook.site/.../",
  "WatchTable": "Patient",
  "PollingSeconds": 3
}
Then I logged into Open Dental for that dental office. Open Dental must be running to process Events.

Next I made a change to a patient in the UI and an Event fired to my EndPointURL within 3 seconds. I also made a change to a patient with the API (Patients PUT to change the birthdate). Again the Event fired within 3 seconds.

A workstation can be specified, but is not required for Events to fire. If a workstation is part of the subscription, only instances of Open Dental running on that machine will fire Events. A blank workstation subscription means any and all instances of Open Dental will fire Events, regardless of their machine name.

Common issues/solutions for events not firing:
  • The EndPointUrl of the Subscription does not have the required trailing '/' character (not your issue)
  • The WorkStation specified in the Subscription differs from the machine running Open Dental (likely not your issue)
  • A change has not been made to the WatchTable specified in the Subscription, so there are no Events to fire
  • An instance of Open Dental for the dental office is not running
  • The instance of Open Dental that is running does not have access to the internet to send the Event to a remote EndPointURL
Let me know if these suggestions do not resolve the issue.

flaviokihbba

Post by flaviokihbba » Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:44 am

Hello, thanks for the reply.

by looking at your response it appears that I have done all correctly on my side.

I tried to fire off using both API and the software but it's not working.

A change has not been made to the WatchTable specified in the Subscription, so there are no Events to fire
I made an API Call to update a birth date and it's not firing off to the endpoint.
An instance of Open Dental for the dental office is not running
The software is currently open and being used.
The instance of Open Dental that is running does not have access to the internet to send the Event to a remote EndPointURL
I am currently accessing the software via remote access, so I can guarantee it does have access to the internet.

SLeon

Post by SLeon » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:09 am

After reaching out to this user directly, we found there are sometimes issues with the Zapier webhook system processing hooks. Details here https://zapier.com/help/troubleshoot/be ... quest-data. They recommend confirming this by testing with a non-Zapier website called WebHooks.site. This is also the website Open Dental uses to test API Events.