potential bug: CEMT Sync on middle tier

For complex topics that regular users would not be interested in. For power users and database administrators.
Ardavan

potential bug: CEMT Sync on middle tier

Post by Ardavan » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:43 am

Hello all,
We're still lagging behind on 18.2.47 so this may have already been addressed, but then again the CEMT, middle tier, and combination thereof aren't as widely used as the default setup so this may not even have been reported yet.

First the setup: All connections including connection to the CEMT are using the middle tier running 18.2.47, and there is site-to-site VPN setup between all clients and middle tier servers with very permissive firewall rules on the tunnels.

When attempting to sync from the CEMT to middle tier connections we get the "done" message signifying success, however users, security groups and permissions don't appear to be syncing properly. No changes to existing entries in database and no new rows added where they would be expected.

Using the "Sync Manual" button prompts for credentials and after entering credentials it will do its thing then prompt for credentials approximately every five minutes, but in most cases my changes have gone through before prompting the following times.

My workflow is now to only sync one connection at a time using the "Sync Manual" button, and each subsequent time it prompts for credentials I check the database to see if my changes were applied, if so I repeatedly press the exit button or just kill the CEMT process before moving on to sync the next connection.

The job gets done, but it would be so much faster and smoother if everything worked as expected (as it does with direct connections).
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who will laugh at this joke, and those who won't. ~Annonymous Bug Writer

cmcgehee

Re: potential bug: CEMT Sync on middle tier

Post by cmcgehee » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:53 pm

I've created a ticket for us to look into this. We'll get back to you once we have an answer.
Chris McGehee
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

cmcgehee

Post by cmcgehee » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:30 pm

I've spent some time digging into this, and the behavior you're describing would happen if the user you've logged in to CEMT doesn't exist or has a different password in the database you're syncing to. Are you able to log in to all middle tier connections using your CEMT credentials?
Chris McGehee
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

Ardavan

Post by Ardavan » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:59 pm

Thanks so much for looking into this, I realize our setup is far from "standard" which may be the source of many of our problems.

My credentials are the same in the CEMT as in all middle tier connections, however where our setup may differ from your testing is that when setting up the CEMT I had started from a copy of an existing database then forced all existing legacy users in the various databases to be CEMT users by adding a the CEMT usernum to their record in userod (as opposed to creating users in the CEMT and syncing them using the CEMT).

Given that you were only able to reproduce the issue where credentials were different I will create a new CEMT user using the CEMT, sync it using the interface, and try again.

Thanks again for your prompt replies and looking into the issue!
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who will laugh at this joke, and those who won't. ~Annonymous Bug Writer