OD crashes when importing scanned documents

For users or potential users.
teamhowey

OD crashes when importing scanned documents

Post by teamhowey » Wed May 01, 2019 2:15 pm

Wondering if anyone has had a problem when importing scanned documents into OD. Computer has intel i5 processor and 16 GB of RAM. Front office will scan a referral using the epson software for the scanner and saves the pdf to a temp folder, then imports into OD. Often, OD will stop working and close but everything else continues to work fine. Any ideas?

Jorgebon

Re: OD crashes when importing scanned documents

Post by Jorgebon » Wed May 01, 2019 2:52 pm

Have you tried to scan documents directly from Open Dental?
Jorge Bonilla DMD
Open Dental user since May 2005

Ardavan

Post by Ardavan » Wed May 15, 2019 11:57 am

Have you tried updating acrobat?
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who will laugh at this joke, and those who won't. ~Annonymous Bug Writer

odontomon

Post by odontomon » Wed May 22, 2019 7:46 pm

This started happening to me today, after I updated to the most recent stable build of OD.
Last night I was still dragging and dropping files to the Images module from windows file explorer, but today it crashes OD. It even crashes when I use the import button from within the images module. Also, this has happened on more than 1 of my workstations. Any ideas on why this is happening?

Ardavan

Post by Ardavan » Thu May 23, 2019 3:48 am

1) what version of adobe reader/acrobat is on the afflicted workstations
2) how are the pdfs being created in the first place
3) are there any pdfs that dont crash OD
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who will laugh at this joke, and those who won't. ~Annonymous Bug Writer

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Thu May 23, 2019 9:25 am

Do you get an error message before it crashes? If so, what does it say? If not, can you go into your Windows Event Viewer and look for any Application Errors that are for Open Dental and report what information that has?
Also, what is the exact version of Open Dental that you are using? We release so often that "most recent stable" isn't terribly helpful for me when needing specifics.
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com