Translation for tooth surface in group notes

For complex topics that regular users would not be interested in. For power users and database administrators.
Mifa

Translation for tooth surface in group notes

Post by Mifa » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:19 pm

I've just noticed that surfaces don't show the same in the progress note and in the group notes windows. It seems to get back to the US spelling in the group notes window. What is the item in the translation list where I can specify the correct French spelling?

Thanks.

tgriswold

Re: Translation for tooth surface in group notes

Post by tgriswold » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:45 pm

Setup->Display Fields->ProcedureGroupNote. Double click the row with Surf as the field name, and give it whatever translated name you want it to show as the New Description. The process is a little different for that window because they are display fields which are user editable/configurable.
Travis Griswold
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

Mifa

Post by Mifa » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:15 pm

Thanks, but I meant the surface themselves. There is some code in FormProcEdit.cs that forces surface letters to be updated for Canada. the original F becomes V and V becomes 5 in the progress notes. The procedure is called UpdateSurf. It seems this procedure is not invoked for group notes as the surfaces remain F and V when you look at the surfaces in the Procedures section of the group note form. To be consistent, case Surf in the procedure FillProcedures in FormProcGroup should be updated with UpdateSurf. There may be other places in the program as well.

Ideally, we would prefer to control the surface letters from a translation form, in order to be able to translate (or not) the default US surface letters.

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:27 pm

I see what you're saying. The Procedure grid's Surf column within the Group Note window doesn't display the same as the Surf column in the Progress Notes. I'll add this to the bug tracker and get someone to work on it.

Programmer Note: We are not calling Tooth.SurfTidyFromDbToDisplay() and Tooth.GetSextant() as needed.
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

Mifa

Post by Mifa » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:47 pm

Thanks, that's what I meant indeed.

Quite frankly, after speaking to the clinical staff, they use the same notations for surfaces (M, O/I, D, B, L, and class V) as you do in the States. I don't know about elsewhere in Canada. Also, they've told me that insurance companies seem to be expecting this notation as well. That's why, beyond consistency (which will be good anyway), I said I would be easier to manage surface notation through the translation dictionary (in our case, we would not translate anything).

grahamde

Post by grahamde » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:15 pm

The reason for the different surface notation in the USA verses Canada is documented in two places:

http://opendental.com/manual/canadageneral.html
http://opendental.com/manual/entertreatment.html

I think we should begin with the solution jsalmon suggested above. I does not seem that any other changes are necessary, unless Mifa thinks the explanations provided on the links are insufficient.
Derek
Open Dental Software

Mifa

Post by Mifa » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:47 am

From what I can gather, it does not seem that V for Vestibular (vestibulaire in french) is common in Quebec. I've asked my staff and I've checked documents from ODQ, they mention buccal.

Also, while I was checking the source code, I've noticed that these Canadian specific surface button labels are hard coded and cannot be changed using translation. For the time being, I have disabled the CA culture specific surface renaming so that the button labels can be "translated" to B/F and Cl. V and the surfaces appear as F and V respectively (like in the US) for anterior teeth in all our progress notes; this also resolves the problem of surface inconsistency between group notes and progress notes.

Thanks.