Weird hang with OD and Visual Studio on one computer

For complex topics that regular users would not be interested in. For power users and database administrators.
Mifa

Weird hang with OD and Visual Studio on one computer

Post by Mifa » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:28 pm

OD and VSE 2012 are acting real weird on my development computer with windows7pro (and only this one, the other machines at the clinic do not have any issue). The version of OD (a customized version of 14.3.35) was compiled and installed back in march 2015 and we've been using it without any problem, until a couple of days ago.

Now, when I start OD, it hangs after the startup screen and before the choose database screen. The computer becomes unstable (very slow almost hanging), although there is no increase in CPU or memory usage... I have to force a hard reboot by pressing the on/off button.

I have used the .net setup verifier and it did not detect any problem. I ran the .net framework repair tool several times and I am getting 2 recommended changes "unregister and re-register windows installer service" and "stop an restart windows installer service", which I have applied every time I've run the tool to no avail... I have been able to install this afternoon the latest updates from microsoft without any problem...

At one point this morning after multiple hangs/reboots, I was able to start visual studio, recompile OD in debug mode and run the newly compiled (debug in VS) as well as the old executable without a problem, getting to the choose database screen as expected. Why this one time, I don't know???? I then did a clean system restart and now I'm getting back into the same hanging behavior in VS (when I try to run in debug mode) and when I try to run the march 2015 production version of OD...

I have uninstalled MySQL and OD then reinstalled both using the trial version, then upgrading OD to 14.3. No luck.

I have uninstalled the programs I installed over the weekend (Davinci Resolve, Avidemux and XDR client). No luck.

All my other regular programs (Navicat, Firefox, Thunderbird, Sage 50, Office 2003, AutoMod7...) work fine...

I suspect .Net might be the problem, but I'm at a loss figuring out how to fix it and am considering reinstalling windows 7 on this machine. Any other suggestion?

Thanks

Mifa

Re: Weird hang with OD and Visual Studio on one computer

Post by Mifa » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:24 pm

Just one more detail, OD is working in Windows Safe Mode with networking.

Mifa

Post by Mifa » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:12 pm

I think I found where the problem come from: the AVAST antivirus. This machine runs the latest version of AVAST pro (10.4.2233); the other computers are running a previous version and they don't have an issue. When AVAST is turned off, OD starts nicely. When on, it hangs. I've tried to use exceptions, but it did not work. I have to turn it off in order to run OD. It's the first time in almost 8 yrs using AVAST and OD together that we have a problem.

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:40 pm

Thank you for the update on the resolve of the issue. We will probably update our Virus Protection page with this information to help other users:
http://www.opendental.com/manual/virus.html
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com