Email setup issues

For users or potential users.
uopsmiledoc

Email setup issues

Post by uopsmiledoc » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:56 pm

Our office switched over to OD (from Eaglesoft) a few months ago, and so far we are liking it a lot more than ES overall. Of course, we are still learning the ins and outs of this software so it's not surprising that we'll occasionally run into problems. One that we've encountered that we, including tech support, just can't figure out is the setup of our email in OD. I'm able to use my gmail account to send out email just fine, but I can't seem to do the same with my very own website email address, which is set up through Prosites. Tech support spent nearly an hour trying to troubleshoot this problem remotely, checking all my security, firewall, and Outlook settings with no luck. Are there other Prosites users out there that have been able to get their email addresses working in OD? The email feature is such an important one for us!

alhalwachi

Re: Email setup issues

Post by alhalwachi » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:15 pm

I have a similar case, I have an eamil from a local telecom provider and another from goDaddy.com and can't seem to be able to send through any of them

terrytn

Post by terrytn » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:54 pm

Prosites email addresses indeed do not work with Open Dental. Can anyone fix this problem for us? It's a pretty big deal to be able to seamlessly email our patients through our practice software. The inability to do so is very frustrating. HELP!

teethdood

Post by teethdood » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:04 pm

Preface: Godaddy is my domain registrar

You need to utilize a feature called email forwarding. Most registrars allow email forwarding.

Here is how I have everything setup:
Godaddy points to hosting site for http, ftp, etc.
Godaddy points to gmail for email. It doesn't have to be gmail, but that's what I use and opendental works well with it using pop/imap.
dentist@mysite.com --> whateverdentistdds@gmail.com
*@mysite.com --> myDAs@gmail.com * is a catchall so that anything sent to @mysite.com will get sent to that gmail account.
Now just setup opendental to use gmail. I would also change gmail settings under "Reply To:" field to use your company's email.

BTW, hello from fellow UOP grad
Philip H. Doan, DDS
http://www.kaweahdental.com/

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:13 pm

Great post. I'm going to add that information to our email setup page.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

sbgcd

Post by sbgcd » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:59 am

teethdood wrote:Preface: Godaddy is my domain registrar

You need to utilize a feature called email forwarding. Most registrars allow email forwarding.

Here is how I have everything setup:
Godaddy points to hosting site for http, ftp, etc.
Godaddy points to gmail for email. It doesn't have to be gmail, but that's what I use and opendental works well with it using pop/imap.
dentist@mysite.com --> whateverdentistdds@gmail.com
*@mysite.com --> myDAs@gmail.com * is a catchall so that anything sent to @mysite.com will get sent to that gmail account.
Now just setup opendental to use gmail. I would also change gmail settings under "Reply To:" field to use your company's email.

BTW, hello from fellow UOP grad
This is great setup... Actually we did slight different approach that what you suggested here... Yesterday, support team spent almost an hour and they did not able to setup in our environment as we host our site with 3rd party (on top of GoDaddy)

Here are what I did to setup emails:
- Setup new gmail account (use this email account to setup OpenDental with gmail)
- go to gmail mail settings -> Accounts and Import (go to Send Mail as: section)
- Add Reply-To Address for gmail account (e.g. abc@mydentaloffice.com)
- Click "Add another email address you own" to add your domain related email address (e.g. abc@mydentaloffice.com)
- Enter Name and Email address(abc@mydentaloffice.com) here.
- Make this new email address as your default address - This will ensure that gmail account will use"abc@mydentaloffice.com". We wnated to do to keep office emails and gmail account separate...

Hope this helps to others.

Thanks,
Dr. Sheth
Stony Brook General & Cosmetic Dentistry

terrytn

Post by terrytn » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:38 pm

Thank you Dr. Doan and Dr. Sheth for your help. This helps us out tremendously!

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:21 am

Great. Also added to our manual.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

cypher

Post by cypher » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:51 pm

Can you, please, explain why the Open Dental does not work with GoDaddy’s SSL?

The workaround presented in this thread is an inconvenient way to send emails. In addition:
A. Gmail periodically locks our account with an explanation that this is done to prevent automated spam. We have to manually unlock the account once we start seeing failures in Open Dental;
B. Some spam filters detect the email forwarding and our email ends up in our customer’s “Junk Mail” folders;

Our Outlook works fine with GoDaddy’s SSL mail with smtpout.secureserver.net on the port 465. However Open Dental shows “The operation has timed out” error with the same settings that work for Outlook.

The solution that would allow GoDaddy’s SSL mail from Open Dental would be really helpful.
Do you have any plans to make the solution available?

Thank you!

Dwayne

Post by Dwayne » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:52 am

We use GoDaddy ourselves, but not encrypted. If you would like to use GoDaddy, and don't care about encryption, use port 25 and uncheck the SSL box.
Dwayne
Open Dental Software
503 363 5432
service@opendental.com

Justin Shafer

Post by Justin Shafer » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:21 pm

Are you guys talking about changing your mx record? I do that when someone decides to host exchange. The timing is important.. You want to be sure you are already setup to go on the other server, with all the accounts created, etc.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:42 am

I just want to make sure people understand that, even if they turn on SSL for their email uploads, that the email is still not considered secure. The only way to secure it would be to encrypt the actual email before sending. That what feature request 2211 is all about. If you're having trouble sending email using SSL, then I would recommend avoiding SSL rather than setting up forwarding.

As for the problems that various people are having with submitting to their ISP, the only way I know of to resolve it is going to be to start documenting the settings for each ISP. Our documentation should include which ones are known to work as well as which ones are still not working. We should include screenshots and better setup instructions. It's hard to pull resources away from developing exciting new features, so I don't know when we will get to this.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

bpcomp

Post by bpcomp » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:55 pm

From what I understand (having gone through this already) OpenDental's email integration doesn't support or isn't compatible with just SSL on port 465. It will however make a secure connection with Gmail over port 587 through TLS.

http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answ ... swer=13287

Because Gmail can be setup to masquerade as your main email address to whomever you are sending to, many people have set that up with OD. However as Dr Jordan said, the secure connection does not mean secure email. Even though it is a good thing to have SSL or TLS if possible, this only secures the first couple of hops your email makes over the internet. The rest will probably travel unsecured on their way to the recipient.

I setup Gmail because Prosites does not support a regular smtp non-encrypted connection and I really wanted the email to appear as if it originated from our domain. It's not as elegant as a direct connection to Prosites from OD, but it works.