Backup on home computer

For users or potential users.
hjoesaar

Backup on home computer

Post by hjoesaar » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:31 am

One year ago I bought a new home computer with Vista on it. Off and on during that year I've been trying to load and confirm my backups on it. No luck. I'm ready for help.

My computer is unable to find the database because that's the error I receive. I transfer program files from my flash drive, OR I run "setup" from my a-z data; I stop and start mysql; I'm tired of trying. what do I need to do to get my backups to run on my computer at home? I've erased all files and I have flash drive in hand. thanks in advance.
Last edited by hjoesaar on Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rickliftig

Re: Backup on home computer

Post by Rickliftig » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:41 am

Hi -

Richelle at Open Dental Support walked me through this. You may want to giver support a call. BUT - here's how it worked on my Windows 7 Pro system.

1) Install the trial version software found on the website, but when you click to run it, right click - "run as an administrator". Then just click through the default installation screens.
2) Once it is in installed, restore from your database on the flashdrive.
3) their may be an extra step of having to run setup (again as an administrator) from your opendentalimages folder on the flash drive, but I am unsure.

4) RTFM - Jordan has a pretty clear description of the process which can be accessed doing a search. And don't be afraid to call support - that's one reason we pay for the privilege.

Best of luck.
Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

hjoesaar

Post by hjoesaar » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:07 pm

Thanks for the encouragement. With hope I attempted all that you described and nada. I'm just angry now. The problem is, I do this on the weekend because that's whem I'm home. Is OD support open on the weekend?
I thought I would solve this by uninstalling all programs and reloading as per their directions but it didn't work. I'm not a computer idiot either but I'm so annoyed. I know I'm whining but I've wasted hours on this! Grrrr.

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:06 am

BTW - did you uninstall mysql also? Now that I think of it, I had to manually set mysql to run in computer services (right click on my computer) or in settings - administrative services -> services and check if the MYSQL service is running or stopped.

Better yet, plan a time to call support - you'll save a lot of headache.

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:02 am

Yes, we are open on Saturdays.

I'm completely dumbfounded that you would go for a year without any verified backup. I'm honestly not being critical of you. It's just reinforcing to me how urgent our new automated backup tool will be. It is entirely unacceptable to not have verified backups. Companies regularly go bankrupt because of failed backups.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

Jorgebon

Post by Jorgebon » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:16 am

Jordan,
This is the type of backup problem that worries me and that I mentioned in another thread. For those of us that have restored from backup, the process might seem logical and simple, but this is not the case of the average user. From what I gather the problem seems to be in entering the correct information in the select database window after the restore. This happens because the name of the computer at the office is not the same as the name of the computer at home. I think that until we have a better option, you should have step by step instructions with details every step of the way on the website. Maybe a small video or animation of how to do it would be in order.

Hjoesar,
The way I do it is as follows:
1. At the office, put in a flash drive in the server and go to the manage module.
2. Select the "Backup" button.
3. In the window that appears, make sure the first line is correct (Backup database FROM this folder). If not, browse to the correct folder and select. In my case it is C:\mysql\data\.
4. In the second line, make sure you have the correct letter for your flash drive. This will differ depending on your computer's drives. If not sure, go to "My Computer" in the desktop and open it and look for your flash drive. Make a note of the letter and that's what should go into the second line in the backup window. In my case it is G:\.
5. Click on the "Backup" button and wait until a message appears that says Backup is complete.
6. To restore your information at home, first make sure you have a working copy of Open Dental. To make it easier, you should have the same OpenDental version as in the office. Insert the flash drive in your home computer.
7. Open your Open Dental software and go to the Manage module.
8. Click the Backup button and in the backup window that appears, you will notice that it has restore options below the backup options.
9. There are three lines for restore. The first one is the letter for the flash drive. It is not necessarily the same as the one at the office. You can check in your "My Computer" folder to verify you have the correct letter. In my computer it is D:\, but it may be different in your computer. Make sure you have that letter in the first line for restore.
10. The second and third line is where you want to restore your database and A-Z folder. Make sure these are correct. You can browse to find the correct folders if the are not correct.
11. Click on the "Restore" button and the software will ask you if you want to restore from the backup on the flash drive done in whatever date it was done. Click OK and the restore process begins.
12. As soon as the process finishes, close your Open Dental software.
13. Click to open OpenDental again and the software will start to open and it will get to a window that asks for information. I don't remember right now if it asks for the database but if it does, enter LOCALHOST in server name, OPENDENTAL in database, and ROOT in user.
14. It will then get to a window that asks the paths to your images folder. In the first line you will see the name of your office server. You have to change it to the name of your home computer. Enter \\Localhost\OpenDentImages. It could also be \\Localhost\OpenDentalData if you have been using the software since a few years ago. Leave the other options as they are.
15. Click OK and your OpenDental software should finish openning, or go to the enter password window if you have a password.

That's all. I did not have to do anything to mysql like stopping the service since I used the restore function in Open Dental.
Hope this works out for you,
Jorge Bonilla, DMD
Jorge Bonilla DMD
Open Dental user since May 2005

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:03 pm

Jorge, thanks for the step-by-step instructions. I posted them on the backup page.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

V Suite

Post by V Suite » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:28 pm

Just to clarify...
6. To restore your information at home, first make sure you have a working copy of Open Dental. To make it easier, you should have the same OpenDental version as in the office. Insert the flash drive in your home computer.
*Install OpenDental Using the Trial installer as normal so as to install everything my.ini, mysql, etc... Make sure the OpenDental trial is working properly. *Update the from the Trial to the same version as at your office (the restore will also work with a newer but not an older version than that at your office). Make sure OpenDental still works with the trial database. Then proceed to restore the database...
*You will only need to Install OpenDental once and update it once. Subsequent restores can omit these steps...

hjoesaar

Post by hjoesaar » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:43 pm

Thanks for the advise. I will try that next time I have a few hours at home. I used to verify my backups on my old home computer but I haven't been able to complete this task on my "new" computer. I do stop mysql, change the database name to the one at the office, etc. Sometimes I feel like the files aren't embedded properly and I've messed around with that but it didn't work. I'll try again. I do daily backups online and I do a weekly flashdrive backup. And no, no verification. I'll let you know.

hjoesaar

Post by hjoesaar » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:04 pm

Hey Everyone!
It's been a few weeks since I've posted. Thanks Jorge, for the step-by-step guide for backing up Open Dental to my home computer. Tonight's the night.. My kids are asleep, my wife is out with her friends, I cracked a beer... and read your directions, and .. Hmmm. With the utmost respect, that's not gonna work. You see, I've been doing that (previously posted directions) for almost four years - I know that routine. The problem is; For the last year, I just can't get a working copy of OD on my new Vista OS computer. I've downloaded the demo and tried to upgrade it; I've used setup in my A-Z file, I've downloaded Mysql Server 5.0, Silverlight, and Netframework 3.5 sp1 and have tried to work my way through the troubleshooting guide on backing up to a home computer. nada. I know I'm not an idiot but this is too friggin' hard. I have a new computer damnit, and this should be easy compared to my old 1998 XP HP but I just don't get it.. If I have a computer disaster I've got a daily online backup (never confirmed), a friday flash backup, and Hope. Please make it easier.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:06 am

So you're stuck on step 6? You don't even have the trial version installed properly at home? That is clearly the problem and has nothing at all to do with backups. When you install on Vista, follow the directions on our trial version page and right click, run as admin. Yes, even though you are already the admin. You can call us and we can do it for you.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

DavidWolf

Post by DavidWolf » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:08 am

Thanks for the new instructions. I have had problems with this same issue in the past. Everytime I try to test at home I forget how I did it from before. Honestly, it has never gone that smoothly and I avoid trying it again because I know it will be a disaster.

I am going to try and test with the new instructions tonight.

Thanks.

DavidWolf

Post by DavidWolf » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:29 am

Ok this is the part that always gets me.....how do you make sure you have the same version and what if you don't have the same version?

Jorgebon

Post by Jorgebon » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:51 pm

To see what version you have go to the main menu and click Help, then click Update. The version will show in the update window. If the version you have at home is older than the one at the office, you can update at home or you can install the newer version using the Setup.exe in the AtoZ folder from the office.

If the version at home is newer, first go to the AtoZ folder and rename the Setup.exe to something that lets you know what version that Setup.exe installs. I use the version numbers, like Setup6836.exe. You can go ahead with the restore at home and after restarting Open Dental it will update older version the database to the newer version.
Jorge Bonilla, DMD
Jorge Bonilla DMD

hjoesaar

Post by hjoesaar » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:33 pm

I have a working copy of the Demo program at home now. My backup from work doesn't work on my demo program because the pathway is incorrect. My from path at work is C:\mysql\data\Joesaar but my "to path" is invalid when I try to restore. What do you think?

Debbie OD Support

Post by Debbie OD Support » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:43 pm

You don't put the name of the database you just put C:\mysql\data
Debbie
Open Dental Support
971-239-1150
service@opendent.com

hjoesaar

Post by hjoesaar » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:08 pm

Halle-friggin'-lujah!!!!

wow, I finally got a current backup at home! I didn't specify what the database was, or where (exactly) just "G:\ " wow, what a revelation. thank you. Now on to bigger and better things... Thanks everyone!

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:43 pm

You uber-geek - you <G>

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

Jorgebon

Post by Jorgebon » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:04 pm

Congrats. I'm glad you finally got it to work at home.
Jorge Bonilla, DMD
Jorge Bonilla DMD

drfredc

Post by drfredc » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:05 pm

Is this about having a backup (which is perhaps better done via an encrypted online backup service such as Carbonite) or is about having access to your clinic info at home?

If you want to connect to your Clinic info at home, just sign up for something like logmein.com which allows you to securely connect to your Clinic server ANYWHERE you have internet access. It's a clickable tab on my webbrowser, add the security info and I'm at the clinic front desk.

The big advantage here is you can remotely check (and update) patient charts, check xrays, med history, and possible drug abuse, check and set up appointments, JUST LIKE YOU ARE AT FRONT DESK of your clinic. Plus when your staff shows up, your changes are there. You can also post and leave notes on the screen, print out stuff (like rx's you phoned in), do whatever you want -- FOR FREE!

You can also provide the logmein info to a trusted front office staff so they can remotely check phone messages via your answering machine, then call and set up appointments, finish a few odd ends, etc, My bookkeeper has access to the backroom computer via logmein so she (and I) can do bookkeeping work at home (different passwords and signin).

What is the COST? -- the FREE logmein account works great for many personal needs. Fine print, last I checked, ODs graphical chart doesn't show up with the free Logmein version. Need more -- As I recall, the paid Logmein version is what OD uses for it's online support when they are remotely training or fixing some screwup you've got. With the paid version, there are more features, like print stuff out where ever you are... Remote hookup cost $70/year. Add online backup for $40... or something like that.

FYI, there are other similar options out there that are just as useful and cost effective. Logmein is what I've used for several years... It also works on my internet phone tablet. I kind of even recall there's an Ipod touch and Iphone logmein app...

jclaydds

Post by jclaydds » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:30 am

See this thread for a fix to get Open Dental's 3d tooth chart to operate with LogMeIn.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2012&p=8304&hilit=logmein.com#p8304

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:32 am

We use GoToAssist, which is a sibling of GoToMyPC. Both are owned by Citrix, the industry leader. Highly recommend. But this thread is actually about validating backups.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

Jorgebon

Post by Jorgebon » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:46 am

Using GotoMy PC or similar software is fine, but it's important that all OD users learn how to backup and restore their databases. It trains you for when your office server crashes and you need to get some other computer to take over as the server.
Jorge Bonilla, DMD
Jorge Bonilla DMD

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:25 am

Total Disclosure about my backups - FWIW -

I have a duplicate server in my basement and manually backup to it once a week - then I check to see that everything seems to work. Generally, I'll look at recent appointments that I am familiar with and make sure their data and any images imported properly.

The office server backs up to another computer in the office several times per day, however, this backup is rarely (if ever) checked. Also, Logmein does a backup to a home computer at night (not the server), but this is never checked

We print and save daily logs of financial transactions, but do not print out clinical records except for initial exams and perio charts. My FD still can't get rid of her appt book - so there is some redundancy there.

I have been tempted to run the server full time and back up with vpn, but don't want to put running hours on it.

In the worst case (I hope), I'll be down a week's worth of info.

Confirming that your backup works is OH SO important!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

alhalwachi

Post by alhalwachi » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:02 pm

The backup / restore option within OD works perfectly but is there a way it runs automatically? In other words, can I over-write to backup folders once everyday automatically ?

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:26 am

Request #42
Jordan Sparks, DMD

bpcomp

Post by bpcomp » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:09 pm

For automated backups I have been researching http://www.duplicati.com/. What is really attractive to me is that using Volume Snapshot Service (VSS) under Windows or the Logical Volume Manager (LVM) under Linux it can backup a "hot database". Meaning I can backup OD and Paterson Imaging without stopping SQL or paying for an enterprise level program like symantec backup exec with sql plugin. It also uses AES-256 encryption and will hook automatically into Amazon S3.

What all this means is that you can have unattended backups that don't require any user interaction that will happen over night. The back ups are fully encrypted and secure. They can be stored online with a very reliable host for 12.5 cents per GB. Our full data set for patient data is currently around 20 GB. My plan is to setup the backup to upload a full backup on the weekend and incrementals during the week. If we keep two full weeks of backups plus incrementals I figure our monthly cost will be about $6.25. From home I can use the same program to download and do a test restore of the data at any time. There is also the option to run your own ssh server from home and incur no cost for backups, but to cover the possibility of hardware failure/fire/other disaster, I think it is money well spent.

Jay

Post by Jay » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:23 pm

by bpcomp » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:09 pm
For automated backups I have been researching http://www.duplicati.com/. What is really attractive to me is that using Volume Snapshot Service (VSS) under Windows or the Logical Volume Manager (LVM) under Linux it can backup a "hot database". Meaning I can backup OD and Paterson Imaging without stopping SQL or paying for an enterprise level program like symantec backup exec with sql plugin. It also uses AES-256 encryption and will hook automatically into Amazon S3.
What all this means is that you can have unattended backups that don't require any user interaction that will happen over night. The back ups are fully encrypted and secure. They can be stored online with a very reliable host for 12.5 cents per GB. Our full data set for patient data is currently around 20 GB. My plan is to setup the backup to upload a full backup on the weekend and incrementals during the week. If we keep two full weeks of backups plus incrementals I figure our monthly cost will be about $6.25. From home I can use the same program to download and do a test restore of the data at any time. There is also the option to run your own ssh server from home and incur no cost for backups, but to cover the possibility of hardware failure/fire/other disaster, I think it is money well spent.
1. Is the Duplicati database on your local machine easily encryptable using a non-public key because from what I understand it stores your backup password locally?

2. I understand they are using AES-Crypt to encrypt but can the files be recovered without using either AES-Crypt or Duplicati e.g. if both those developers suddenly stopped development? This would be terrific as it would make recovery software independent but I suppose in this regard Open Source is already ahead of Commercial Solutions.

bpcomp

Post by bpcomp » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:34 am

I haven't looked far into your questions but on the surface it would seem that the answer is that yes you can recover your files as they are a simple zip archive encrypted with AES and I'm assuming (not tested) that there are alternate solutions out there to decrypt an AES secured file without using AES-Crypt. After that there are plenty of programs that can handle the zip files. Additionally there is the option to use GnuPG which would require a separate install, but gives you an alternate for securing your backups if AES is not to your liking.

As for the storage of the password I don't know the technical details as I havn't had a chance to see how it is handled but it would appear to be using the standard windows password storage mechanism. For me this is sufficient because if someone has access to read your windows password hash, then they can probably see your live, unencrypted database also.

Oh and I did test last night restoring a backup from the hot database with OD running, and it went without a hitch. Just use the manual restore instructions on the website and it worked perfectly.

Jay

Post by Jay » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:13 am

The only downside I can see then is the absence of a Windows Service so if someone switches off the program it no longer is backing up. Other than that this is looking very good.

The two best alternatives are both commercial i.e. you pay for a software license

1. Crashplan: This is nice as it does live DB backups and local backups but to work reliably it needs an open port which I am not comfortable with.

2. Carbonite: Really easy to use (no open port needed) but no live DB backups so you need a second software/process/scheduler running to dump the database tables from time to time. Also it can (for an additional fee) mirror your drive locally (for recovering partitions) but cannot back up folder by folder.

bpcomp

Post by bpcomp » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:13 pm

Apparently running as a service is one of the main priorities in the 2.0 release of Duplicati. Until then your right that it is susceptible to being turned off. In my case that is not an issue since the server is always locked down and is never turned off. Looking into Crashplan I was only able to find that it could backup a hot database for the PROe version, which starts at $345 for a 5 pack This starts getting into the big commercial software which is not necessarily a bad thing. I'm just at the point where having multiple backups is a great thing (having lost data before). I am currently under the "Have as much backup and you can afford" mantra. This is a cheap open source solution but I wouldn't recommend it as your only backup. Once I get this in place on our server we will have 3 different backups running. You can never be to paranoid about your backups.