How to configure OD to connect to an online database?

For users or potential users.
alhalwachi

How to configure OD to connect to an online database?

Post by alhalwachi » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:28 am

Hi everyone

I have a question and would be grateful if I get your valuable assistance.

I want to host my openDental Database online and then use the opendental.exe to connect to it.

1. How can I upload my data from my local machine to the database engine hosted online?

BUT more importantly

2. How can I connect to the online database? How to configure OpenDental to connect to the online database instead of the local database?

3. What about speed? Would be affected?

The above configuration will help create online reports and access them remotely by accessing the database.

Thanks

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: How to configure OD to connect to an online database?

Post by jordansparks » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:45 am

1. You need to have total control of that machine. Upload the files to the database folder following the standard instructions on our backups page.
2. You would never use a simple direct connection. Even with a very good username and password on the database, it's just not secure enough for patient data. See our many suggestions here http://www.opendental.com/manual/multiplelocations.html
You'll want a VPN to start with. It will take you some time to understand all of these options.
3. TS speed is great. Web Service speed is acceptable. Direct connection over VPN can be acceptable if you have a fast connection and a local AtoZ folder.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

alhalwachi

Re: How to configure OD to connect to an online database?

Post by alhalwachi » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:41 am

Thank you so much for te valuable information, appreciate it

Regards;