*Syncthing* FREE PC to PC sync between multiple offices

For users or potential users.
rhaber123

*Syncthing* FREE PC to PC sync between multiple offices

Post by rhaber123 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:43 am

If you have multiple offices, you can sync your data between these offices every 30 -60 seconds

https://syncthing.net/
Open Source - Open Protocol - Open Development
Alternative to Crashplan - No Cloud services needed - PC to PC backup over the Internet.

Syncthing replaces proprietary sync and cloud services with something open, trustworthy and decentralized.
Your data is your data alone and you deserve to choose where it is stored, if it is shared with some third party and how it's transmitted over the Internet.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6648&p=29656&hilit=syncthing#p29656

Alternative to Crashplan - PC to PC backup over the Internet
drawab wrote:I've been using SYNCTHING [https://syncthing.net/] for past two years

Its in my opinion perfect for live Sync between two or even more computers - I copy the Open Dental Images folder across the two practices - so almost every 30 seconds it watches for changes and sends it across - I take it one step further - I copy the folder to a computer at home (and another on Cloud) which serves as my backup - hence four computers in sync

I also backup my Carestream imaging folder (3D CTBT) across the four location
drawab wrote:
- Install the app and configure to run it at startup
- for the first time I manually copied files between the computers (two offices locations & one backup computer stashed away at home) after that, it compared the folders located all over and is now keeping all locations in perfect sync, checks for changes in the background every 60 seconds and fetches the updated files.

bpcomp

Re: *Syncthing* FREE PC to PC sync between multiple offices

Post by bpcomp » Wed May 23, 2018 7:48 am

Looks like this handles the A-Z folder. How do you handle the database?

rhaber123

Post by rhaber123 » Wed May 23, 2018 12:06 pm

just create a separate folder for each file that you would like to sync, and it will do it.
create 3 separate folders, a-z folder, Opendental data, and xrays

You can create as many folders as you want - read their help instructions for further info
According to syncthing, the data is being encrypted than synced.
Last edited by rhaber123 on Sun May 27, 2018 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

bpcomp

Post by bpcomp » Thu May 24, 2018 7:18 am

And the Open Dental data comes through OK? I just know that there are issues with trying to backup a live database and I'm surprised that this would work on a live database.

wjstarck

Post by wjstarck » Thu May 24, 2018 7:05 pm

What about HIPAA and PHI?
Cheers,

Bill Starck, DDS
Big Idea Software, LLC
Developer, EASy(Electronic Anesthesia System) for Open Dental
817-807-1709
TX, USA

rhaber123

Post by rhaber123 » Sun May 27, 2018 11:10 am

"drawab"I've been using SYNCTHING [https://syncthing.net/] for past two years

Its in my opinion perfect for live Sync between two or even more computers - I copy the Open Dental Images folder across the two practices - so almost every 30 seconds it watches for changes and sends it across - I take it one step further - I copy the folder to a computer at home (and another on Cloud) which serves as my backup - hence four computers in sync

I also backup my Carestream imaging folder (3D CTBT) across the four location
According to syncthing, the data is being encrypted than synced. You need to keep a log of who is using these computers. Your data is not shared with a third party.

Secure & Private
• Private. None of your data is ever stored anywhere else other than on your computers. There is no central server that might be compromised, legally or illegally.
• Encrypted. All communication is secured using TLS. The encryption used includes perfect forward secrecy to prevent any eavesdropper from ever gaining access to your data.
• Authenticated. Every node is identified by a strong cryptographic certificate. Only nodes you have explicitly allowed can connect to your cluster.
Like all backup software, the dental office is responsible for configuring it in a HIPAA compliant manner and for enforcing policies in their organizations to meet HIPAA compliance.

drawab

Post by drawab » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:29 am

Id be cautious on using it on OpenDental Database - in fact I'd suggest not to

this is only good for A-Z folders and I use it to sync across my X-ray database
bpcomp wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 7:48 am
Looks like this handles the A-Z folder. How do you handle the database?