SMS Texting with Diafaan in Open Dental $89/year

Only for sharing sheets, icons, forms, etc. Please do not post requests.
rhaber123

SMS Texting with Diafaan in Open Dental $89/year

Post by rhaber123 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:28 am

Text Messaging and call from inside OD for users in any country - Mopensoft SMS Plugin $89/year

Setup instructions for Texting with Mopensoft SMS Plugin, Diafaan, and an android cellphone from Open Dental,

The Mopensoft SMS Plugin can be used with "Diafaan gateway" for texting on multiple computers in OD.

Mopensoft plugin has been whitelisted and will be working like all the other communication plugins like Flex, PatientXpress,Yapi, Modento, etc...
No date has been made to stop these plugins from working yet and deprecate them.
Last edited by rhaber123 on Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:22 am, edited 15 times in total.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: SMS Texting with Diafaan in Open Dental

Post by jordansparks » Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:34 am

Probably don't. We're deprecating plugins. They are far too dangerous and are causing database corruption. I'm not saying that this plugin is causing database corruption, but I'm explaining why we are deprecating plugins in general.

What can Mopensoft do? The plugin should instead be an exe. The button that's created in the top toolbar by adding the Mopensoft program link can call the exe each time it's clicked. It can also pass off some command line arguments to this exe. If Mopensoft wants to make an entry in the Open Dental database that a text was sent, then it needs to be done through the API instead of by direct manipulation. Yes, I realize this is going to be a painful transition for Mopensoft. Their business model will need to adapt, since $89/year won't cover the API costs.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

wjstarck

Re: SMS Texting with Diafaan in Open Dental

Post by wjstarck » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:09 am

Well, as the developer of a plugin for over 13 years now...I'd have to agree with you. Plugins have been a two edged sword for me. On the one hand, infinite customizability. On the other, if the plugin utilizes any part of the OD UI or Business logic, and OD changes something, it can break a plugin which can leave customers confused. A lot of development time wasted on just trying to keep our plugin running while keeping up with the rapid development cycles of OD.

For our planning though, when do you anticipate support for plugins being removed - end of year? Just want to stay ahead of the curve. :D
Cheers,

Bill Starck, DDS
Big Idea Software, LLC
Developer, EASy(Electronic Anesthesia System) for Open Dental
817-807-1709
TX, USA