how to Build compile opendental in windows.

This forum is for programmers who have questions about the source code.
Jimmy

how to Build compile opendental in windows.

Post by Jimmy » Sun May 04, 2008 1:32 pm

Hi all.

I have a lot of problem building "compile" the Opendental 5.6 with visual studio 2008 in my windows xp enviroment.

I think was very usefull if you can write any tutorial step by step for compile OD in windows.

I cant find any information about how to compile and i'll very thankfull if u can help me to do this. :!:

:P

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: how to Build compile opendental in windows.

Post by jordansparks » Sun May 04, 2008 2:00 pm

There are no shortcuts. It takes time to learn how to compile, and there are a million things that can go wrong. You gradually, over time, learn to struggle through any possible errors. Google any errors you get. Read this forum. Experiment. The short version is:
1. Install the trial version and make sure it works.
2. Download the source code.
3. Open the sln file.
4. Make sure the startup project is OpenDental.
5. Make sure it's in Release mode. (or debug if you want)
6. Run it.
7. Check for missing dll's, especially from the RequiredDlls folder.
What step are you getting stuck on?
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

Jimmy

Post by Jimmy » Sun May 04, 2008 5:28 pm

Thanks a lot Jordan,

i make every step you say i dont have errors in the proces and OD. play OK i can use it perfect.

but my question is how to make the installer with all my change in the source?
how distribute the software as .exe to install in other pc ?

Thanks.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sun May 04, 2008 9:31 pm

Copy the files to a CD. Copy them from the CD onto other computers. We purchased and use InstallShield to create the Setup.exe. This makes the process easier for end users, but there's quite a learning curve with it.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

Jimmy

Post by Jimmy » Mon May 05, 2008 6:15 am

When you say "copy the files to a CD" what files you say. i have files .sln, .suo, .resx (download from svn source) this kind of files need visual studio to run. that means i need to install visual studio in everi pc to run in debug or release mode to play OD?

i guess i'm not explain what i want.

i just want to know, how i can build setup.exe and opendental.exe with all my custom changes.

thanks for your help.

JJ

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Mon May 05, 2008 8:21 am

I mean all the files in the bin/release folder. You have to understand that this is an extremely basic question. So that's where the OpenDental.exe is. And I explained in the last post how to create a Setup.exe and that it's not simple.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

dwkrueger

Post by dwkrueger » Tue May 20, 2008 7:01 pm

I would recommend that you build a Hello World application first. Maybe throw a picture and a text file in the project as well. Then use the Visuall studio Installer project to make a setup file. After you can do this then you can begin to understand how to use VS to create the installer project. Creating Setup.exe is a bit messy to understand and I would work on a smaller project first.

All Jordan is saying is that the program is selfcontained in its directory (For windows XP) so just add all files found in your directory that runs Opendental to your installer project and you have a sutiable installer.

Building OD is not usually a problem (until someone forgets to submit all the appropriate files). Make sure you are opening the .sln file and then you should be able to build from the settings the last person used.