Update Estimates Only bug in v. 23.3.20?

This forum is for programmers who have questions about the source code.
rinse-dental

Update Estimates Only bug in v. 23.3.20?

Post by rinse-dental » Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:01 pm

I'm attempting to Update Estimates Only via Fee Tools; however, I can only ever reach 97% before the dialogue reports 'Done' and the Close button is again active.

jsalmon

Re: Update Estimates Only bug in v. 23.3.20?

Post by jsalmon » Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:42 am

I tested two different databases using v23.3.24 (which I would imagine is the same as v23.3.20) and both made it to 100% just fine.
There might be something unique with your database. I would recommend calling support and giving us a copy of your database so that we can inspect it.
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

rinse-dental

Post by rinse-dental » Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:48 pm

Cool - thanks! I called support initially to resolve an issue with outdated deductibles. They suggested the Update Estimates feature which then led me down this rabbit hole. I called back today at your suggestion and, as it turns out, my deductible issue might not be resolved with the Update Estimates feature. I still need to call the support team back tomorrow so they can grab my DB to sort out this unfinished Update Estimate problem; however, any suggestions on my deductible problem... which is, that deductibles don't seem to be updating for patient estimates unless a user physically clicks within the Treatment Module. Support suggested this is a direct result of using the Quick Add feature - which the deductible calculation is apparently a known issue/feature(?) but it's not clear to me that this is the case.

In any event, our patients can view or reschedule their existing appointments online/in-app and receive an automated reminder which includes their estimated co-payment... given we have no reason to view a patient's Treatment Plan 7+ days in advance, these estimate are wrong. As you can imagine, this makes us look dumb and with our 'no surprises' philosophy, has cost us a fair amount of money in write offs. As it stands, my only solution is to manually open and click the TP module for every patient.

Appreciate the help. The support team is typically outstanding; however, in this case I seem to have hit a dead end.

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:14 am

One of the support members told me that this is a known issue and quoted the following text to me:
...For estimates to calculate correctly you must chart the procedure from the Chart Module then attach them to the appointment. If procedures are added directly to the appointment, you must click into the Treatment Plan Module to update the estimates.
https://www.opendental.com/manual/appoi ... indow.html
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:51 pm

Good news: The Update Estimates tool is updating your procedures just fine even though it says 97%
Strange news: The unknown 3% is coming from the fact that you have invalid TP procedures in your database. Invalid as in associated with patients that do not exist. There are 6,604 TP procedures, of which 241 are associated with invalid patients thus yielding 6,363 valid TP procedures. 6,363 / 6,604 = 0.963 aka ~97%

I'll create a bug out of this and add it to our bug tracker. I'm not quite sure how I'm going to approach fixing this (ignore these invalid procedures, create a DBM to clean them up or to create dummy patients for manual cleaning, etc).

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software

rinse-dental

Post by rinse-dental » Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:02 pm

Thanks! I'm ashamed to admit this but early on when we were too small and broke to think about creating a proper dev environment - I was creating patients, running some tests and then used a SQL delete for those patients and appointments. No doubt this is the 'how' to your situation. I wouldn't sweat it - as long as I can trust it's accurate then it's fine for now. Or, if it's easy enough, you can also assign any orphaned procedures to PatNum 2. This is our test patient.

rinse-dental

Post by rinse-dental » Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:12 pm

I don't want to screw anything up but would this fix my issue?

update procedurelog set
patnum = 2
where patnum not in (select patnum from patient)

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:01 pm

rinse-dental wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:12 pm
I don't want to screw anything up but would this fix my issue?
Even if that would fix your issue I would not recommend running a manual query on a live database that manipulates data. Especially over something this trivial. These 'invalid' patients only have TP procedures associated with them. There are no 'important' entities that would cause any harm (e.g. paysplits, adjustments, etc). I would just leave these TP procedures alone for now.
rinse-dental wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:02 pm
I was creating patients, running some tests and then used a SQL delete for those patients and appointments. No doubt this is the 'how' to your situation.
Fantastic! Thank you for sharing this information with us. I was scratching my head over how this scenario could come about and was starting to get mildly nervous and this puts me at ease. I shall treat this as a low priority but I still plan on doing something about it. I was leaning towards a DBM method to clean it up so it makes me happy that you are leaning that way as well.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software

rinse-dental

Post by rinse-dental » Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:05 pm

Thanks for the help! Sorry if this ate up too much time!

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:17 am

Apparently you just need to execute the 'Patient Missing' tool within the Tools tab the Database Maintenance window.
https://www.opendental.com/manual/datab ... tools.html

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software

rinse-dental

Post by rinse-dental » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:34 am

Nailed it! We're now updating 100% and I now have ~70 inactive patients with the name 'missing-#' back in my DB. Thanks for taking the time - I hope this thread eventually helps others.