Custom Software + Open Dental Cloud

This forum is for programmers who have questions about the source code.
mandmdiet

Custom Software + Open Dental Cloud

Post by mandmdiet » Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:43 pm

We have an application that users have been installing on their MySQL database server that connects to the database locally and reads data from the MySQL or Maria DB binlog (binlog is enabled ahead of time to make this possible).

How would we support this application if a customer moves to Open Dental cloud? How would we make sure the binlog is turned on and that we have a way to connect to the database?

jsalmon

Re: Custom Software + Open Dental Cloud

Post by jsalmon » Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:22 am

Such a 3rd party application / integration is not supported when using Open Dental Cloud. It should consider using the API instead.
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

mandmdiet

Post by mandmdiet » Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:38 am

Thanks for the reply jsalmon, I'm just trying to get a bit more information to understand because I can't find a lot of information about this specific thing online.

If a customer moves to OD cloud, is their database just moved to the cloud and are they able to connect to that from either the OD Windows Client or a Web Application?

Does OD host OD cloud in their own data center as well? Similar to where the OD API is hosted? The implication here being better OD API performance probably.

If a customer moves their OD to the cloud is there no option for them to continue to do database replication? I've seen some posts and answers in this forum giving support to users who wanted to use replication with their OD database.

Is there no way to connect directly to an OD database that's in the cloud from outside? I have seen in articles about OD cloud information about using an Advanced Connection String in the configuration. Is that not possible? I know that OD still supports 3rd parties connecting directly to the OD database for read operations.

Thanks

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:21 am

mandmdiet wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:38 am
If a customer moves to OD cloud, is their database just moved to the cloud and are they able to connect to that from either the OD Windows Client or a Web Application?
If they move their database to their own cloud, then yes. We have been working on adding features to allow users to do just that. For example:
MariaDB SkySQL PEM path: If connecting to a third-party hosted cloud server, enter the file path for the security certificate. The certificate must be accessible from all workstations.
https://www.opendental.com/manual233/ch ... abase.html
mandmdiet wrote:
Does OD host OD cloud in their own data center as well? Similar to where the OD API is hosted? The implication here being better OD API performance probably.
I suggest using the API because it is web based and will work for all ways of using Open Dental (local, cloud, etc).
mandmdiet wrote:
If a customer moves their OD to the cloud is there no option for them to continue to do database replication? I've seen some posts and answers in this forum giving support to users who wanted to use replication with their OD database.
If the customer moves to their own cloud then it is between them and their cloud service / servers. If they choose to use Open Dental Cloud where we host their database then we are in charge of managing their database. Whether replication is involved at that point is completely up to us so to speak and, if done correctly, the consumer won't know the difference between using Open Dental with or without replication.
mandmdiet wrote:
Is there no way to connect directly to an OD database that's in the cloud from outside? I have seen in articles about OD cloud information about using an Advanced Connection String in the configuration. Is that not possible? I know that OD still supports 3rd parties connecting directly to the OD database for read operations.
No. There should be no way to directly connect to a database that is hosted by Open Dental Cloud.
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

mandmdiet

Post by mandmdiet » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:07 pm

Thanks again jsalmon.