Shifting from a plugin to web services

This forum is for programmers who have questions about the source code.
corrin

Shifting from a plugin to web services

Post by corrin » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:44 pm

Hi,

Background

We have a single surgery (two dentists). It's also important to note we're in New Zealand.

We currently have calendar bookings implemented by a small Python program I wrote which syncs the OD database to Google Calendar (one way), where it's picked up by Acuity. Actual bookings are copied from Acuity to Open Dental manually.

We currently have SMS working using a plugin from Mopensoft, which connects OD with Just Remote Phone, an app which connects a computer with an android Phone.

Both work pretty well but obviously with plugins being removed things need to change and we're reviewing the eServices but the big problem we've got is that the built-in SMS functionality is completely cost-prohibitive for New Zealand.

Question

Is there a way I can use eServices while continuing to use a local Android phone? Perhaps set up a callback from eServices to the surgery (we have a static IP) and write a little web API that receives requests and sends SMSs, probably via talking to our existing Just Remote Phone software? I don't want to sell this software so I'm not really a vendor - how are eServices integrations licensed? Is there any documentation for integrating with eServices?

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Shifting from a plugin to web services

Post by jordansparks » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:50 pm

Our current plan is to not deprecate plug-ins for international customers so that the Mopensoft plugin and other similar plugins will continue to work. Our eServices are tailored to the US, and each country is different.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com