DLL interaction with OpenDental to change patient selected

This forum is for programmers who have questions about the source code.
SriramChellappan

DLL interaction with OpenDental to change patient selected

Post by SriramChellappan » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:25 pm

Can I use DLL to change the currently selected patient?
Can I use DLL to take the user to another module? example to Account Module and scroll up or down to a specific claim?

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: DLL interaction with OpenDental to change patient selected

Post by jordansparks » Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:06 pm

A long time ago, we got that feature working by using command line arguments. If there was already a copy of Open Dental running, then it would affect that copy instead of launching a new copy. I think the reason we turned that off was that people were more interested in using command line arguments to launch multiple copies, and nobody was asking for this. But the remnants are still there, and it looks like it wouldn't be too hard to turn it back on again. We would just add a new command line argument for "Reuse". It's kind of cool how it worked. The second instance sent a string over a TCP port (we randomly chose 2123) to a listener running on the copy of OD that was already up, and then it shut itself down.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

SriramChellappan

Post by SriramChellappan » Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:12 am

"A long time ago, we got that feature working by using command line arguments." Not sure what does it mean by command line arguments?

The DLL I am thinking of like a bridge to another application. Currently looks like DLL can open third party application passing in the currently selected patient. Wondering if the DLL can also pass on the currently selected claim as well? Also can the DLL receive a request from third party application and navigate to account module and to a particular claim the third party application is requesting to be brought to focus in the OpenDental.

The DLL will act as a two way communication channel between OpenDental and the third party application the DLL belongs to.

SriramChellappan

Post by SriramChellappan » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:16 pm

I see we can pass the currently selected patient information to the third party software through bridge. Can we send information such as currently selected claim information?

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:07 pm

https://www.opendental.com/manual/progr ... tfile.html
As you can see, all of the outgoing fields have to do with the current patient. There is nothing for the currently selected claim.

But you could set up a Clearinghouse
https://www.opendental.com/manual/clearinghouses.html
which exports data to a specific folder. Then the user could "send an e-claim" using that clearinghouse and you would immediately have a text file full of information.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

SriramChellappan

Post by SriramChellappan » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:11 pm

Would you be able to turn back on the feature that effects the currently running OD? Example if the third party applications sends a request to the OD to select a particular patient, open the account module, scroll to a particular transaction...

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:52 pm

It's not just a matter of turning it on. There's some engineering and testing involved. I'm not sure we have time for that right now. Have you tried sending a claim through the clearinghouse option?
Jordan Sparks, DMD

SriramChellappan

Post by SriramChellappan » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:01 pm

I am not looking to send claims.

For example In OpenDental you can "Go to Account" from other windows. However I wish there is a option for "Go to Claim" ( in ERA) which will not only select the patient, go to account module and also highlight the claim.

Similar to above functionality, I should be able to select a claim in the bridged application and send the selected to claim to the currently running opendental client. The opendetal will receive the request and "go to the Claim"

makes sense?