Data exchange options

This forum is for programmers who have questions about the source code.
malay

Data exchange options

Post by malay » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:20 am

Hello. I am interested in building services that extend clinical workflows. For this, I need data exchange - ODBC / HL7 / FHIR / API.

I have tried ODBC and HL7. The later is a standard so want to explore it further.

If there are multiple workstations, how can they send their updates to the same HLL7 end-point (shared folder / TCP-IP)? Is that required to be configured on each user machine?

Also, if I create message templates, is there a way to install them in customer DB during onboarding?

Appreciate the help!

joes

Re: Data exchange options

Post by joes » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:14 am

Here is a reply from one of our HL7 Coordinators:
HL7 messages are always sent from the server regardless of which workstation triggers the HL7 message so there is no need to configure anything on each workstation. Only the server needs to communicate with the shared folder or TCP/IP port. There is no way to import/export HL7 definitions so any customizations you make to the message structure would need to be made for each individual database. It might be helpful for you to send a brief overview of what you're trying to accomplish to Implementations@OpenDental.com including what information you're hoping to transfer out of Open Dental and what information you're hoping to transfer into Open Dental. We may be able to offer some general advice.
Joe Sullivan
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com