Archived OD dbs causing a problem

This forum is for programmers who have questions about the source code.
wjstarck

Archived OD dbs causing a problem

Post by wjstarck » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:13 am

I have some third party software that imports HL7 messages into the db. It's written for SQL, but they support MySQL. I have run into an issue where their MySQL Schema Engine will get confused if there is more than one OD database in the MySQL data folder, which is where OD places archived dbs when the user does an update of OD. They tell me this is because of the way SQL works as opposed to MySQL. So I will need to watch that folder and move those archived dbs to another folder in the filesystem. I plan on creating a folder and notifying the user via a MessageBox that I have moved those backup dbs to that folder. Anything else I need to be aware of so that I don't create issues for OD support staff?
Cheers,

Bill Starck, DDS
Big Idea Software, LLC
Developer, EASy(Electronic Anesthesia System) for Open Dental
817-807-1709
TX, USA

joes

Re: Archived OD dbs causing a problem

Post by joes » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:05 pm

Open Dental does not access these backups after they are made, so this shouldn't cause any issues under normal circumstances. But, if someone were to somehow select the backup on the Choose Database screen or access the DB outside of OD before it is moved, the move may get blocked if files in the backup are being accessed. This is because the MyISAM storage engine used for most OD databases locks the files for a table when the table is being accessed.
Joe Sullivan
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Archived OD dbs causing a problem

Post by jordansparks » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:14 pm

Keeps that folder cleaner, anyway. Darn those buggy 3rd party tools.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com