Could we use WPF to intergrate color text?

This forum is for programmers who have questions about the source code.
EagleWing

Could we use WPF to intergrate color text?

Post by EagleWing » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:44 pm

Hello Dr. Sparks,
I don't know if this is an option or not.
I was wondering what you thought about the Windows Presentation Foundation and if you thought that we could integrate it and use it for color text? What are your thoughts on this?

EW

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:36 pm

The big reason for not using it is that it is not supported by Mono. That means OD would no longer work on Linux and Mac. We are already committed to maintaining compatibility with Mono, so WPF is not an option.

However, our planned web version will use Silverlight, which is indeed WPF. So, yes, we will be using it, but in the web version rather than the desktop version.

As for color text, I'm not aware of any advantage that WPF would give us in that area. We can color text just fine with GDI+. Are you talking about rich text of some sort? Maybe html markup? Are you talking about making rich text display in our Progress Notes? Did you find a control in WPF that does it better?
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

EagleWing

Post by EagleWing » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:10 am

Yeah I did think about compatibility and it seems that this isn't the best rout.
You are right, I was thinking about colored text for the progress notes, which from what I know is not possible...

Thanks for the reply!
EW

PS: I have the up and down arrows for moving controls up and down working!