custom patient portal

This forum is for programmers who have questions about the source code.
sammyp42

custom patient portal

Post by sammyp42 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:02 am

Has anyone tried to create their own patient portal for use with Open Dental? Seems like it wouldn't be too hard to do for a good web developer... but I'm not sure if there there are some basic gotcha's I'm not thinking about. Has anyone thought about this?

sammyp42

Re: custom patient portal

Post by sammyp42 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:46 pm

Something specific I want to change/add to the patient portal... I have my own web widget for accepting payments through my own credit card merchant... I've asked around, no one can beat their rates. I want to change the Payment button on the Statements page to redirect to my own page. Seems simple enough to tweak if I host the patient portal on my own server... I think. Am interested in hearing peoples thoughts.

Thanks,
Samir

sammyp42

Re: custom patient portal

Post by sammyp42 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:29 pm

Alright... so this appears much more difficult than expected. Unless I'm missing something, the patient portal isn't part of the released code base... somewhat disappointing since I thought this whole platform was supposed to be open source. Looks like the FHIR API can be used, but it's also closed source (regulatory reasons?) and it still seems in very early stages of development.

I'm half temped to create my own open sourced patient portal framework that plugs directly into the MySQL backend... but not motivated enough at the moment.... My short term problem was tied to the "payments" button... but it turns out the payment processor met my existing processors low rates, so I'm okay with it for time being.

... I would *love* to see an AngularJS (or similar UI framework) based front end at some point. OAuth allowing Facebook and/or Google as identity provider would be icing on top. :-)