Choose Database no longer updates old Database

This forum is for programmers who have questions about the source code.
V Suite

Choose Database no longer updates old Database

Post by V Suite » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:37 am

It seems that File - Choose Database no longer updates selcted databases created in an old Open Dental format. The database can only be updated if chosen at start up.

I have zips of my old databases.

I unzipped the old opendental data (from c:\mysql\data\opendental) to c:\mysql\dataopendental20070903, keeping the existing database in c:\mysql\data\opendental

Then I chose option File - Choose Database, opendental20070903 and got an error:
"Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore the error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately.

Table 'opendental20070903.popup' doesn't exist."

This was solved by quitting. When OpenDental restarted I chose opendental20070903, and was prompted to update from version 5.0, which was successful.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:14 am

I'm ok with that behavior.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

V Suite

Post by V Suite » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:14 pm

Thanks for the quick reply.

At one time I had 5 Open Dental Windows open, each with a different database. I was able to open each one (and update to 5.4) wthout crashing by simply choosing a new database as each separate instance was opened (while the others were still open and operating). They all operated quite fine, and I can imagine that the OpenDental/MYSQL system can scale to unlimited databases on one machine. Jordan Sparks, you guys are good!

I guess this is not the expected usage pattern, but I was just concerned about the crash/unhandled exception bit upon switching to the database with an existing open OpenDental window (instead of choosing it on starting).