Google Glass integration

This forum is for programmers who have questions about the source code.
Jason

Google Glass integration

Post by Jason » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:19 pm

Hello OpenDental Community!

I am a Google Glass Explorer. During my latest checkup, I was showing my dentist the voice activated features of Glass and she was showing me their installation of OpenDental. We're contemplating working together to try to build a proof of concept application for Glass that would facilitate hands free exam data entry into OpenDental. I know how to put the software together to build the app for Glass, but I have never been a Windows developer and I have no prior experience with the OpenDeveloper framework or the existing body of plugins.

Is there anything in the OpenDeveloper framework or the known universe of plugins that already facilitates the entry of dental exam data from an Android application in specific, or should we be contemplating rolling our own?

- Jason

drtech

Re: Google Glass integration

Post by drtech » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:35 pm

I would be interested in possibly working on this project. I have no experience with google glass, but do have experience with Open Dental and making my own plugin. I don't think anyone has anything yet to help with data entry. (This would be very helpfull to start with the data entry in the perio chart!)
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com

jsalmon

Re: Google Glass integration

Post by jsalmon » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:14 pm

I always lean towards rolling your own. Most prepackaged libraries and such tend not to accommodate what you want to achieve exactly and often result in bloating the software. On the other hand, you don't want to reinvent the wheel so I guess it depends on the scope of "entry of dental exam data from an Android". That's a pretty broad starting point.
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com