GPL v2 or v3?

This forum is for programmers who have questions about the source code.
wjstarck

GPL v2 or v3?

Post by wjstarck » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:10 pm

Which version of the GPL is Open Dental distributed under - v2 or v3?

Also, I'm trying to determine what our obligations are under the GPL regarding plugins.

This paragraph (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLAndPlugins) seems to indicate that our plugins must be distributed under the GPL:
If a program released under the GPL uses plug-ins, what are the requirements for the licenses of a plug-in?

It depends on how the program invokes its plug-ins. If the program uses fork and exec to invoke plug-ins, then the plug-ins are separate programs, so the license for the main program makes no requirements for them.

If the program dynamically links plug-ins, and they make function calls to each other and share data structures, we believe they form a single program, which must be treated as an extension of both the main program and the plug-ins. This means the plug-ins must be released under the GPL or a GPL-compatible free software license, and that the terms of the GPL must be followed when those plug-ins are distributed.

If the program dynamically links plug-ins, but the communication between them is limited to invoking the ‘main’ function of the plug-in with some options and waiting for it to return, that is a borderline case.
Jordan, what is your opinion on this? I found this on the Developer's section of the OD website:
It can be difficult to interpret the GPL and to determine whether a proprietary plug-in is allowed. We have absolutely no problem with proprietary plug-ins, and our interpretation of the GPL is that it's allowed because it's a separate assembly.
The light of the above paragraphs from GNU, is that still your opinion?

Thanks,
Cheers,

Bill Starck, DDS
Big Idea Software, LLC
Developer, EASy(Electronic Anesthesia System) for Open Dental
817-807-1709
TX, USA

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: GPL v2 or v3?

Post by jordansparks » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:47 pm

we believe they form a single program
Well, I don't believe. I guess all that really matters is what happens in a courtroom some day if someone decides to press the matter for some reason. As with most areas of law, it's quite a gray area. But I have a very hard time believing that anyone would be motivated enough to bring a lawsuit against you over this issue.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

drtech

Post by drtech » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:20 pm

Bill, so are you releasing your source code under GPL like OD or keeping it proprietary/in house only? I am thinking about getting into conscious sedation and will need to record vitals, etc and was looking to play around with the great work it looks like you have done with your plugins.
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com

wjstarck

Post by wjstarck » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:50 am

Jordan- thanks.

David- Plan to keep it proprietary for now. Check your pm.
Cheers,

Bill Starck, DDS
Big Idea Software, LLC
Developer, EASy(Electronic Anesthesia System) for Open Dental
817-807-1709
TX, USA