Heuristic Virus

This forum is for programmers who have questions about the source code.
JimZ

Heuristic Virus

Post by JimZ » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:37 am

Not sure where to post this, but it's the second time this has come up on my home computer. Norton has classified the opendental setup_7_9_26.exe file as an heuristic virus. Specifically suspicious.Cloud.2
I'm hoping this is a false positive, but I thought I should check with you to be sure. Any suggestions?
We have recently updated to 11.0 so is it possible to remove this file now? Thanks!

Jim

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Heuristic Virus

Post by jordansparks » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:39 am

A heuristic warning means Norton is suggesting that it might be a virus, but they are telling you that it could be a false positive. Remember, it does not match any existing known virus pattern. Heuristic analysis has low accuracy and high false positive rates. To me, that simply seems like an annoyance that you should turn off (just the heuristic part).
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

alkhaef

Post by alkhaef » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:03 pm

Yeah I saw this too... SUPER annoying and wasted HOURS of my time with Symantec's overseas deflection-ninjas they call "support" until finally talking to a real support person.
Note, I'm not calling it "Norton", because I think the current company has become a disgrace to the Norton name.
OpenDental's docs do say they don't recommend NIS, but I decided to go with them anyway out of a misplaced loyalty to old-school Norton (norton utilities, NAV, etc). I should have listened :(.

Annoyingly, NIS would happily go around quarantining OD!
Even more annoyingly, I had the 2010 version and it was IGNORING me when I added OpenDental as an exception until they released a fix to 2012, which I had to update to.

Just to be safe, I eventually just disabled the whole heuristics stuff (I forgot what their marketing buzzword was), and come renewal time, I'm switching AV's to whatever the OD folks recommend.

Okay... Rant over :-P. Hopefully at least this post will prevent someone out there from attempting to override the Symantec non-recommendation.
Al
Help! I've OD'ed on OD! :)

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:30 pm

We've been using Kasperski for the last year or so with outstanding results.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com