Some 7.9 and other FYIs

This forum is for programmers who have questions about the source code.
wjstarck

Some 7.9 and other FYIs

Post by wjstarck » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:02 am

Just some FYIs that I noticed when working with 7.9:

1) OD 7.9.x will crash outright on 32 bit windows 7 boxes if the latest DirectX patch is not applied. This was not the case on those boxes when running 7.8.x. Updating to the latest DirectX will solve the crash problem, but then the 3D tooth chart will not draw the teeth. On XP Pro, there won't be an outright crash, but the 3D tooth chart will also not draw the teeth. Upgrading to the latest DirectX does not cure this problem, but dropping back to OpenGL works OK. Our 64 bit windows 7 boxes don't appear to be affected at all. This could be because they have beefier graphics cards as they are newer, but as I said the problem wasn't affecting OD 7.8.x on any of our boxes.

2) On all OD versions, if a tooth is marked for extraction, then the procedure is completed (and the tooth disappears because it is now flagged as missing), then set back to treatment planned (happens sometimes because the extraction was set 'Complete' erroneously), the red X will reappear but the tooth will still be showing as missing.
Cheers,

Bill Starck, DDS
Big Idea Software, LLC
Developer, EASy(Electronic Anesthesia System) for Open Dental
817-807-1709
TX, USA

Rickliftig

Re: Some 7.9 and other FYIs

Post by Rickliftig » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:29 pm

Bill - I had similar odd graphics behavior last week - appointments stuck to the mouse, bad re-draws and reversion to the 2D graphics. Pardon my ignorance here, but there were a lot of MYSQL app errors showing up in the server log.

I don't know if there is any connection, but I replaced my Netgear switch with a more robust Cisco managed switch and the system has been trouble free since (two days now). i know the graphics should be handled on a workstation by workstation basis, but do you think that any of the issues could have been caused by packet collisions or failure to grab data quickly enough?

Running 7.8.8 -; mysql 5.5; windows xp pro and server 2003
Last edited by Rickliftig on Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Some 7.9 and other FYIs

Post by jordansparks » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:29 pm

2 is by design. Not in the sense that we like the behavior, but in the sense that it's always been that way. The automation linking extractions to missing teeth is not extensive.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com