A question about the new plugin system

This forum is for programmers who have questions about the source code.
richardwaite

A question about the new plugin system

Post by richardwaite » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:37 am

I've been thinking about trying to code up a SoftDent memo-esque feature for quite some time. It looks like the plugin architecture should facilitate this, but without looking in detail I have just a few questions. Is there a "hook" for the initial login of a user? I would need something like this to display due or overdue memos to the user when they login. Am I understanding the hook concept correctly? I assume I'd be able to add a button to the toolbars like the old program links provided, so that takes care of opening the form to adding/removing/etc memos. This is something I'd really like to do. I guess my main question is how feasible it is right now.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: A question about the new plugin system

Post by jordansparks » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:01 am

There are very few hooks. But we will add them very rapidly as requested. We expect to have thousands of hooks throughout the program. So, if you would like, I can add a hook at login in the same place where task reminders would pop up for a user when the log in.

And yes, buttons on the toolbars are a basic capability that any plugin has access to. The user gets to pick which toolbars, however, by using the selection box within the program link window.

It's extremely feasible. You just have the initial learning curve to deal with, which shouldn't last more than a few days. And then you're off and running.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

richardwaite

Post by richardwaite » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:27 am

Thanks. I think I'll go for it. How soon do you suppose the login hook could be added? Next released version?

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:49 am

We always backport hooks to the beta version. This hook has now been added to version 7.0:

FormLogOn.butOK_Click_end
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

wjstarck

Post by wjstarck » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:11 pm

While we're on the subject of hooks, I've been meaning to ask for one for awhile: Could you please add a hook so that I can add an item to the Setup menu?

Thanks.
Cheers,

Bill Starck, DDS
Big Idea Software, LLC
Developer, EASy(Electronic Anesthesia System) for Open Dental
817-807-1709
TX, USA

richardwaite

Post by richardwaite » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:34 am

Jordan, I see that you've commented the hook out in version 7.0 - is this a major bug? What exactly happens? Can I work on the plugin for now and expect it to be reinstated soon?