Error during compile in linux!

This forum is for programmers who have questions about the source code.
Kollin

Error during compile in linux!

Post by Kollin » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:57 am

Code: Select all

** (/usr/lib/mono/2.0/gmcs.exe:29839): WARNING **: The following assembly referenced from /home/kollin/development/opendental/Required dlls/CDT.dll could not be loaded:
     Assembly:   OpenDentBusiness    (assemblyref_index=2)
     Version:    5.0.0.0
     Public Key: (none)
The assembly was not found in the Global Assembly Cache, a path listed in the MONO_PATH environment variable, or in the location of the executing assembly (/home/kollin/development/opendental/Required dlls/).

** (/usr/lib/mono/2.0/gmcs.exe:29839): WARNING **: Could not load file or assembly 'OpenDentBusiness, Version=5.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.

Unhandled Exception: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'OpenDentBusiness, Version=5.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.
File name: 'OpenDentBusiness, Version=5.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.MonoMethodInfo:get_method_info (intptr,System.Reflection.MonoMethodInfo&)
  at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.get_Attributes () [0x00000] 
  at System.Reflection.MethodBase.get_IsVirtual () [0x00000] 
  at Mono.CSharp.MemberCache.AddMethods (BindingFlags bf, System.Type type) [0x00000] 
  at Mono.CSharp.MemberCache.AddMethods (System.Type type) [0x00000] 
  at Mono.CSharp.MemberCache..ctor (IMemberContainer container) [0x00000] 
  at Mono.CSharp.TypeHandle..ctor (System.Type type) [0x00000] 
  at Mono.CSharp.TypeHandle.GetTypeHandle (System.Type t) [0x00000] 
  at Mono.CSharp.TypeHandle.GetMemberCache (System.Type t) [0x00000] 
  at Mono.CSharp.TypeManager.MemberLookup_FindMembers (System.Type t, MemberTypes mt, BindingFlags bf, System.String name, System.Boolean& used_cache) [0x00000] 
  at Mono.CSharp.TypeManager.RealMemberLookup (System.Type invocation_type, System.Type qualifier_type, System.Type queried_type, MemberTypes mt, BindingFlags original_bf, System.String name, IList almost_match) [0x00000] 
  at Mono.CSharp.TypeManager.MemberLookup (System.Type invocation_type, System.Type qualifier_type, System.Type queried_type, MemberTypes mt, BindingFlags original_bf, System.String name, IList almost_match) [0x00000] 
  at Mono.CSharp.Expression.MemberLookup (System.Type container_type, System.Type qualifier_type, System.Type queried_type, System.String name, MemberTypes mt, BindingFlags bf, Location loc) [0x00000] 
  at Mono.CSharp.Expression.MemberLookup (System.Type container_type, System.Type qualifier_type, System.Type queried_type, System.String name, Location loc) [0x00000] 
  at Mono.CSharp.MemberAccess.DoResolve (Mono.CSharp.EmitContext ec, Mono.CSharp.Expression right_side) [0x00000] 
  at Mono.CSharp.MemberAccess.DoResolve (Mono.CSharp.EmitContext ec) [0x00000] 
  at Mono.CSharp.Expression.Resolve (Mono.CSharp.EmitContext ec, ResolveFlags flags) [0x00000] 
  at Mono.CSharp.Invocation.DoResolve (Mono.CSharp.EmitContext ec) [0x00000] 
  at Mono.CSharp.Expression.Resolve (Mono.CSharp.EmitContext ec, ResolveFlags flags) [0x00000] 
  at Mono.CSharp.Expression.Resolve (Mono.CSharp.EmitContext ec) [0x00000] 
  at Mono.CSharp.Argument.Resolve (Mono.CSharp.EmitContext ec, Location loc) [0x00000] 
  at Mono.CSharp.Invocation.DoResolve (Mono.CSharp.EmitContext ec) [0x00000] 
  at Mono.CSharp.Expression.Resolve (Mono.CSharp.EmitContext ec) [0x00000] 
  at Mono.CSharp.ExpressionStatement.ResolveStatement (Mono.CSharp.EmitContext ec) [0x00000] 
  at Mono.CSharp.StatementExpression.Resolve (Mono.CSharp.EmitContext ec) [0x00000] 
  at Mono.CSharp.Block.Resolve (Mono.CSharp.EmitContext ec) [0x00000] 
  at Mono.CSharp.EmitContext.ResolveTopBlock (Mono.CSharp.EmitContext anonymous_method_host, Mono.CSharp.ToplevelBlock block, Mono.CSharp.Parameters ip, IMethodData md, System.Boolean& unreachable) [0x00000] 

Build complete -- 1 error, 0 warnings
:!:
This is latest svn head
CDT.dll is in 'Required dlls' directory but it fails any way
What can i do to fix this ? :roll:

drtech

Re: Error during compile in linux!

Post by drtech » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:00 pm

as far as I know the latest versions cannont run in linux (and if you are trying you should just compile an older linux compatible version v5.6 or less in windows and copy over the files). Unless you are going to try to fix it that is the last working version.
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com

Kollin

Post by Kollin » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:23 pm

OMG :shock: v5.6 is the last that can be compiled in linux(with mono)? Is that what you are saying? :shock:

Kollin

Post by Kollin » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:42 pm

I have tested all the svn trunk and result is:
The latest version that compiles under mono and runs is 6.1 :cry:
It`s shame actually that the same stupid reference in the code is preventing new versions from correct building.
And that is inherited in 9 /nine/ versions! :roll:

I don`t want to pay microsoft tax for using dental management system! :roll:
Are there any plans for correcting this or should I say RIP for Opendental for linux platform ? :cry:

drtech

Post by drtech » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:48 pm

David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com

Kollin

Post by Kollin » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:02 am

R.I.P.

:cry:

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:44 pm

The fact that it took 9! versions before anyone noticed tells you a little bit about exactly how many users are interested in this capability.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

snecklifter

Post by snecklifter » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:14 am

jordansparks wrote:The fact that it took 9! versions before anyone noticed tells you a little bit about exactly how many users are interested in this capability.
True, though at first glance this looks to be more of an issue with the mono compiler an may not have been an issue for as long as that.

I am interested in getting this running on Linux again (kiosk/patient check-in mode for example!) and if anyone else is please feel free to comment here. I am part of the Fedora Mono project and my employer has interests in this field so have some resources available to debug.

Regards

wjstarck

Post by wjstarck » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:53 am

The problem is that Mono is always going to lag .NET, so you're always going to be behind by several versions. Couple that with lack of resources for maintaining two versions by the Open Dental developer, and the end result it that it just isn't realistic to support Linux at this point in time. Market share with Linux is another factor. If anything, it would be more logical to support an OS X flavor of OD.

Then there's Microsoft Enterprise Library (required for WebForms support). Read point #10 here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms998253

If security is your primary concern, you might consider Win7 inside of VMware player or workstation on a Linux box...
Cheers,

Bill Starck, DDS
Big Idea Software, LLC
Developer, EASy(Electronic Anesthesia System) for Open Dental
817-807-1709
TX, USA

snecklifter

Post by snecklifter » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:56 pm

wjstarck wrote:The problem is that Mono is always going to lag .NET, so you're always going to be behind by several versions. Couple that with lack of resources for maintaining two versions by the Open Dental developer, and the end result it that it just isn't realistic to support Linux at this point in time. Market share with Linux is another factor. If anything, it would be more logical to support an OS X flavor of OD.

Then there's Microsoft Enterprise Library (required for WebForms support). Read point #10 here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms998253

If security is your primary concern, you might consider Win7 inside of VMware player or workstation on a Linux box...
Thanks Bill. The point about only running it on a Windows platform is valid.

No, its really from reducing licensing costs rather than security. I know the problems of developing a Linux client but am interested in doing so for various reasons. Humour me if you can.

I know of several dentists who would be very keen to see OS X support.

If yourself (or Dr. Sparks) can shed some light on the CDT.dll compile error I would be grateful. Preferably the origin and nature of it would be great.

wjstarck

Post by wjstarck » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:39 pm

Sneck-

I had tried to compile it on Ubuntu 10.4 before I answered your question just to see what had changed since the last time a tried (somewhere it the fives or sixes) and it was a no-go. I can't remember what the exact error was, but if I have time tomorrow I'll give it another go. Justin Shafer had OD running on OS X a while back, you might want to ask him what he thinks.

PS - how are you compiling - via command line or in an IDE such as MonoDevelop?
Cheers,

Bill Starck, DDS
Big Idea Software, LLC
817-807-1709
TX, USA

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:19 pm

The error message indicates to me that it's finding CDT.dll just fine. It's the dependent file OpenDentBusiness.dll that it's having trouble finding.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

snecklifter

Post by snecklifter » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:19 am

wjstarck wrote:Sneck-

I had tried to compile it on Ubuntu 10.4 before I answered your question just to see what had changed since the last time a tried (somewhere it the fives or sixes) and it was a no-go. I can't remember what the exact error was, but if I have time tomorrow I'll give it another go. Justin Shafer had OD running on OS X a while back, you might want to ask him what he thinks.

PS - how are you compiling - via command line or in an IDE such as MonoDevelop?
Thanks for the response folks - I'm using MonoDevelop and get the same error using Mono 2.4 or 2.6.7

For interest, I reverted to an older version of CDT.dll (back when it was compiling on Linux) and got a different error.
jordansparks wrote:The error message indicates to me that it's finding CDT.dll just fine. It's the dependent file OpenDentBusiness.dll that it's having trouble finding.
Thanks for the pointer - I'll head off in that direction. I would like to keep posting updates on my findings here if that is OK.

wjstarck

Post by wjstarck » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:10 am

Just for kicks, you could also try compiling OD in windows and then copy everything in the /bin/Release folder over to /usr/local/OpenDental on your Linux box. Then just $ mono OpenDental.exe and see if it launches.

Saves you from alot of dependency hell trying to compile on Linux, and will give you a quick idea whether it's worth the hassle trying to compile natively on Linux...
Cheers,

Bill Starck, DDS
Big Idea Software, LLC
817-807-1709
TX, USA

Justin Shafer

Post by Justin Shafer » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:36 pm